BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ramakrishnan
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

I am totally new to SAS and i love to practice SAS. Since i have just started using sas i ran a small program.

Program

OPTIONS ERRORS=0 NOCENTER MISSING=' ';    
DATA RAM;                                 
  INFILE IN1;                             
  INFORMAT S_DATE YYMMDD6.;               

INPUT @1 name $CHAR9.                   
        @396 S_DATE YYMMDD6.;             

FORMAT S_DATE DATE9.;                   

PROC PRINT;                             
  RUN;                                   

After running this i got the result but the output came in such a way date was printed as the first colummn and Name was printed as the second colum.

Can anyone suggest why? how can i get Name first and date as the second column in the out put.

Thanks in Advance,

Krish.

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Your date column S_DATE is first because it is in the INFORMAT statement before your INPUT statement. You don't actually need an INFORMAT statement as you supply the same information on your INPUT statement.

If you remove your INFORMAT statement NAME will  now come first. 

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Welcome to the community, @Ramakrishnan!

The reason for the date being printed first is that variable S_DATE is the first variable mentioned in your program: in the INFORMAT statement. As a consequence, when the SAS compiler builds the structure of dataset WORK.RAM, it puts S_DATE at the first position in the so called program data vector (an internal area of memory).

Given this information, you already see various ways to change the order of the two variables:

For example, you could move the INFORMAT statement after the INPUT statement (so that the SAS compiler will first come across NAME as it processes your code). As a declarative statement it will still have its intended impact on the INPUT statement.

Actually, it would have an impact, if you didn't specify an informat for S_DATE in the INPUT statement as well. This second informat overrides the one specified in the INFORMAT statement. Since the two informats are identical anyway, I would simply delete the INFORMAT statement (thus, again, making NAME the first variable). This has an additional benefit: The YYMMDD6. informat will not be permanently associated with S_DATE and shown in the PROC CONTENTS output of the dataset. (Some people dislike such permanently associated informats.)

A third way to get NAME to the front is to insert a statement mentioning it before the INFORMAT statement. A LENGTH statement would be a good idea for a character variable such as NAME.

Finally, you can always modify the column order directly in the PROC PRINT step: by using a VAR statement; in this case:

var name s_date;

kannand
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

In addition to the options mentioned by @SASKiwi and @FreelanceReinh  you may also accomplish the order of the variables in your output by using a "PROC SQL" statement as shown in the examples below. 

OPTIONS ERRORS=0 NOCENTER MISSING=' ';    
DATA RAM;                                 
  INFILE datalines;   
  length  s_date $6. name $3.;              
  INPUT  name s_date ;
  datalines;
  abc 112915
  bcd 113015
  ;  
  DATA RAM;  set ram;
  n_date=input(s_date,mmddyy6.);
  run;                  

PROC PRINT noobs;  format  n_date mmddyy10.;                    
  	title '==notice the order of the variables printed from proc print';
  RUN;  

proc sql print;
    title '==notice the order of the variables printed from proc SQL print';
    select name, s_date, n_date format=mmddyy10. from ram;  	
  QUIT;  

The comparision of the output from "PROC PRINT" and "PROC SQL" are below for your reference : 

==notice the order of the variables printed from proc print
s_date	name	n_date
112915	abc	11/29/2015
113015	bcd	11/30/2015
==notice the order of the variables printed from proc SQL print
name	s_date	n_date
abc	112915	11/29/2015
bcd	113015	11/30/2015

Hope this helps...Good Luck...!!!

Kannan Deivasigamani
kannand
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

If you use a "Create Table" as part of your proc sql, the actual variables in your SAS dataset will be reordered which I forgot to mention.  I should say that it really "re-creates" the SAS dataset RAM using the "CREATE TABLE" statement with the variables in the order you have in the "SELECT" statement.

PROC SQL;

CREATE TABLE RAM AS

SELECT NAME, S_DATE, N_DATE FROM RAM;

QUIT;

If you run a "PROC CONTENTS" on RAM dataset before and after this SQL statement, you will notice the difference in the order of the variables in the SAS dataset using the VARNUM option as shown below:

PROC CONTENTS DATA=RAM VARNUM;

RUN;

VARNUM shows the output variables list in the same order as they were defined in the SAS dataset, else I believe it will be alphabetic.

Hope this helps.... Good Luck...!!!

Kannan Deivasigamani

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation