BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Hi,

I have learned SAS using Learning SAS by Example to a point where I feel I know it fairly well. However, knowing SAS and passing the exam are two different things, since I have heard even for experienced programmers the SAS exam can have tricky questions. Part of the reason this forum exists is because it is in SAS's interest to have competent SAS programmers. To get a job using SAS (along with my field of biochemistry) I need to be certified. So, I am asking for guidance to get to that step. The most economical method seems to be to buy the $55 SAS practice exam. My question is, are the questions similar enough to the real exam to be of significance? Has anyone used this to help pass the exam? I have looked at some private companies that "guarantee" passing the exam with their work or your money back, but upon further review, many of these companies appear to be on the shady side. That does not sound like a good option either. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Julie4435637
Obsidian | Level 7
Yes the practice exam will give you questions similar to the ones on the exam. I felt very confident taking the practice exam but scored less than 60. When I looked back at the questions - I saw where I made my mistakes. It helped me learn what to look for in the real exam which i passed with no problem because I was familiar with the how the questions were asked.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Julie4435637
Obsidian | Level 7
Yes the practice exam will give you questions similar to the ones on the exam. I felt very confident taking the practice exam but scored less than 60. When I looked back at the questions - I saw where I made my mistakes. It helped me learn what to look for in the real exam which i passed with no problem because I was familiar with the how the questions were asked.
ManitobaMoose
Quartz | Level 8

Great. Thanks for your insight!

By the way, if I take the practice exam, and have questions about the correct answers, can I ask about the reasons for the answers on this forum?

Astounding
PROC Star

You can, other people have, but here are a couple of things to keep in mind.

First, you get better answers if you show that you put some work into it.  Show your line of thinking, why you think a different answer would be correct.

Second, remember that  you are dealing with copyrighted material so respect that when you post online.  SAS Institute might be able to address what that means in more detail.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

A small recommendation if I am allowed to:

My guide to become a competent SAS user-->

The trick that i follow that helps me get better everyday and that is read, understand and bug or bother  with the below list of amazing people's posts. These geniuses simply marvel

Make a folder and copy their posts on to you local for easy reference

1  @data_null__

2. @Ksharp   @PGStats   /*I'm most jealous of PG for incredible brilliance making me read 3 times to understand*/

3. @art297  /*art might offer you the master IW posts as he did to me if you request him, i don't know IW,  besides the name*/

4. @Astounding

5. @ballardw

6. soren lassen

7. @mkeintz

8. @Kurt_Bremser

9. @Patrick

10. @ChrisNZ

Note: the above is not a ranking. Just a list of some of my first favorites. I have kept 20. The second list are equally amazing but they don't participate much here.

Reading books, docs are all good but my way of learning is read the solutions, look up the concepts they used in the docs. It really helped me come to speed with my peers although one day I hope to be in that list too . HTH

art297
Opal | Level 21

@novinosrin: I posted the IW workbook sometime ago (see: https://communities.sas.com/t5/Community-Matters/Can-we-have-best-excerpts-of-SAS-L-archives-in-our-... ). In fact, it's attached to my response to your post.

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Thank you @art297 sir . My sincere apologies for lack of attention to detail.  Have a great world cup weekend!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation