BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Hi All,

I've been using %SYSMEXECNAME() to get the name of currently executing macros, and noticed today that if I have text, then a blank, then a call to %SYSMEXECNAME(), the blank disappears.   Does this make any sense? 

I can work around it by using a quoted blank, %STR( ).  But it was a surprise to me.  I can't think why the blanks would disappear.

%macro test;
  %put There should be one space after colon but there are none: %sysmexecname(1);
  %put There should be three spaces after colon but there are none:   %sysmexecname(1);
  %put A quoted blank will work:%str( )%sysmexecname(1);
  %put SYSMACRONAME works fine: &sysmacroname;
%mend;
%test;

Returns:

There should be one space after colon but there are none:TEST
There should be three spaces after colon but there are none:TEST
A quoted blank will work: TEST
SYSMACRONAME works fine: TEST
BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I raised this issue with SAS support back in August  2016.  Not sure if they committed to fixing it.

What version of SAS are you using?

Hello Tom,

Thank you for bring this behavior to our attention.  I have reported it to the macro developer.

You can use the following syntax as a work around.

%put Depth =%str( )%sysmexecdepth ;

Regards,

---------------------------------

Kevin Russell

Foundation SAS Team

SAS Technical Support

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I raised this issue with SAS support back in August  2016.  Not sure if they committed to fixing it.

What version of SAS are you using?

Hello Tom,

Thank you for bring this behavior to our attention.  I have reported it to the macro developer.

You can use the following syntax as a work around.

%put Depth =%str( )%sysmexecdepth ;

Regards,

---------------------------------

Kevin Russell

Foundation SAS Team

SAS Technical Support

Quentin
Super User

Thanks Tom.  I'm running 9.4M4 on Windows.  M5 is out now, maybe somebody who has that can try it and report back.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation