BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
pinkY2229
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

When I'm trying to sort a table with 70Go I've the "DISK full" message...

But I've a WORK with 903Go 😞

Usually i'm expecting that a SORT will not use above 70Go * 3 of space

Do you have an idea why i'm facing this kind of pb?

The table is like this :

100 561 233 rows
270 columns
Observation Length : 14 284
Table is compressed (CHAR)

To circumvent the pb, i'm currently trying TAGSORT, I'will also trying to split the data in 10 sub-tables.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The utility file of a proc sort is not compressed, so you can deduct its size from the size of the file and the compression factor shown in the log when you create it.

Depending on the contents, your compression ratio could well be above 90%, and then it is no surprise you run out of space.

Using tagsort is the right remedy.

I'd also consider adding additional disk space that is physically separate from your WORK, and set UTILLOC to it. That prevents concurrent read and write on the WORK disks.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

There are probably other datasets in WORK from previous steps and/or from parallel sessions running at same time.

One of the solutions (maybe not the best) is to split the 70GB dataset into several smaller ones,

sort eache saparetly and finally merge them back.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

What is 70Go?  

Some things to check, do you have anything else in Work?

How are you sorting the data?

Where is the data residing, is it on a network or locally?

pinkY2229
Fluorite | Level 6

thank u for your message.

size is 70Gb (gigas)

I'v nothing else in my work : 'im monitoring the work every minute with df ('im under AIX) and I can see only my WORK Folder growing, growing...

The table is already in the WORK and I want to sort it .

Reeza
Super User

Are you sure you have access to full size? IT can often limit work space. 

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Perhaps this article will help - particularly sortsize:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/hostunx/67929/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n1svfqjvm6a2sfn1ab...

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/hostwin/67962/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n0ea63jfjic0vpn15d...

Not sure how you plan on working with that data, its a big chunk anyways you look at it (i wouldn't personally be happy with 270 columns - anymore than 20 or so is difficult programming wise).

Reeza
Super User

Are you sure you have access to full size? IT can often limit work space. 

Also, what's the exact error you receive?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The utility file of a proc sort is not compressed, so you can deduct its size from the size of the file and the compression factor shown in the log when you create it.

Depending on the contents, your compression ratio could well be above 90%, and then it is no surprise you run out of space.

Using tagsort is the right remedy.

I'd also consider adding additional disk space that is physically separate from your WORK, and set UTILLOC to it. That prevents concurrent read and write on the WORK disks.

pinkY2229
Fluorite | Level 6

Indeed,

I have a ratio of 95.43 percent (!?)

70Gb * 95.43 percent.= something below 700, but 700 into * 3 > 900Gb WORK folder.

tagsort did the job : 

NOTE: PROCEDURE SORT used (Total process time):
      real time           1:41:46.94
      user cpu time       27:57.53
      system cpu time     4:36.74
      memory              266864.43k
      OS Memory           272352.00k
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Actually, your compressed file has less than 5% of its uncompressed size. So the uncompressed file would be roughly 20*70 GB in size, and that amounts to 1.4 TB(!).

When sorting large compressed datasets with a considerable compression rate (>80%), I always use TAGSORT, just to prevent a disk full condition in my UTILLOC.

Ksharp
Super User

For big table, I would like to split it into small tables and combine them together later. Like:

data F M;
 set sashelp.class;
 if sex='F' then output F;
 else if sex='M' then output M;
run;

data want;
 set F M;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation