BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
KachiM
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Do anybody know where the description of the data set, SASHELP.PRDSAL and other two related data sets(PRDSAL2, PRDSAL3) is given? There are two variables, ACTUAL and PREDICT. They refer to furniture sales and predicted sales. How  PREDICT is computed and what goes behind?

I appreciate your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
In this document, http://support.sas.com/documentation/tools/sashelpug.pdf starting on page 104, you will find what there is. As several people have suggested, the SASHELP datasets are only intended to provide you with sample data to use for testing. How ACTUAL and PREDICT were calculated is not relevant for data like this. The two variables could have been called SALES1 and SALES2 (or FRED and ETHEL or WOMBAT and KOALA), or just about anything else.

I use the PRDSALE, PRDSAL2 and PRDSAL3 data when I need more categorical variables than numeric variables for a crosstabular report example.

cynthia

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
KachiM
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

KurtBremser:

Thanks for your reply.

I am wondering whether these PRDSALE and other two are used in SAS Documents to know in which context they are used. Otherwise I am not seeing any description of the data sets.

ballardw
Super User

Treat the data as something collected by the government or other large client that either won't or can't tell you how the raw values were compiled.

The SAS supplied data sets were constructed to use for example analysis. So values may well have been picked to allow/demostrate the results of different options for specific analysis procedures. If the labels on the variables are not sufficient I am not sure what you want.

As a brief example the SASHELP.Iris dataset is used to demonstrate graphing procedures G3D,SGPANEL, SGPLOT,SGSCATTER,; used in examples for Procs ACECLUS, CANDISC, CLUSTER, CORR, DISCRIM, FASTCLUS, STEPDISC and TREE.

If you installed the online help you can likely search for the dataset name to find a similar list for each of the sets.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
In this document, http://support.sas.com/documentation/tools/sashelpug.pdf starting on page 104, you will find what there is. As several people have suggested, the SASHELP datasets are only intended to provide you with sample data to use for testing. How ACTUAL and PREDICT were calculated is not relevant for data like this. The two variables could have been called SALES1 and SALES2 (or FRED and ETHEL or WOMBAT and KOALA), or just about anything else.

I use the PRDSALE, PRDSAL2 and PRDSAL3 data when I need more categorical variables than numeric variables for a crosstabular report example.

cynthia
KachiM
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Ballard & Cynthia_sas:

Thanks for your replies.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation