BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@ProcWes wrote:
What does the -9 modifier do here?

It instructs the FINDC function to start the search at the 9th character (of the first argument) with search direction – because of the negative sign – from right to left.

ProcWes
Quartz | Level 8
Ok, so if c was 1-8, it'd be -8 and if it were 1234567890 it would be -10. Correct?
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

No. If the first argument of FINDC (not c) was '12345678' the modifier -8 could be used, but in this case obviously FINDC would fail to find any digit '9' in '12345678'. So, if c had contained a digit '9' the result would have been incorrect (0) with that code modification. Similarly, with '1234567890' and -10 the '0' in c would have been found first, again leading to an incorrect answer (10, which is absurd) to the original question.

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Here is another Base SAS approach using the APP functions

data have;
    array ct [20] $1 _temporary_ ; /* Changing the size of the array elements, allows you to compare 2,3,.. digits */
    call pokelong ("000112010302",addrlong(ct[1]),length("000112010302"));
    max=max(of ct{*});
    put max=;
run;

Thanks,

Ahmed

SASJedi
SAS Super FREQ

Maybe not the shortest, but I haven't seen POKE used in a long time. That was fun! 🙂

Check out my Jedi SAS Tricks for SAS Users
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

How about this:

do i=9 to 0 by -1 while (x=.);
    if indexc(k,put(i,z1.)) then x=i ;
  end;
223  data have;
224    k="000112010302";
225    do i=9 to 0 by -1 while (x=.);
226      if indexc(k,put(i,z1.)) then x=i ;
227    end;
228    put k=:$quote. x= ;
229  run;

k="000112010302" x=3
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Are we allowed to assume we have an autocall library?

608  data want;
609    x=%x(000112010302);
610    put x=;
611  run;

x=3
SASJedi
SAS Super FREQ

You CAN, but the lines of code in the autocall macro have to count, too... 😄

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20
data have;
  input k $12.;
cards;
;

data w;
set have;
k1=compress('9876543210',k,'k');   
want=char(k1,1);
run;

cleaned further with first function wrapper:

data w;
set have;
want=first(compress('9876543210',k,'k'));  
run;

SASJedi
SAS Super FREQ

That's a pretty sweet solution 🙂

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The responses here are great, and I've learned a lot. 

I've summarized the best so far in a new blog post, SAS code golf: find the max digit in a string of digits.

Shoutouts to @novinosrin@hashman@FreelanceReinh@AhmedAl_Attar, and @ChanceTGardener.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Nice blog post, Chris. Thanks for the notification.

Yesterday, I was about to edit my initial post once again and delete the useless semicolon from my one-line suggestion. But I thought this minor correction wouldn't justify another edit, because that %SYSFUNC call didn't exactly address the original question (involving a "character var") anyway. Of course, I would have corrected it, had I known that this code would be further disseminated. Now, the "winner, in terms of concision" contains an obviously redundant character ...

So, lesson learned: Edit every bit of posted code until it's perfect.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

"The perfect is the enemy of the good."

That's my justification for cranking out large volumes of mediocre-but-functional code (and maybe applies to blog posts too...)

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@ChrisHemedinger wrote:

That's my justification for cranking out large volumes of mediocre-but-functional code (and maybe applies to blog posts too...)

Chris, I've just noticed that you didn't copy (or rather type out) my one-liner correctly in your blog: The second argument of FINDC is missing a leading zero! The same mistake happened in what seems to be (but in fact isn't) a quote from @novinosrin's code. In the code section of the "Apprendix" (sic!) both versions of the string are present.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats