BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Ahsan
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am just running this simple code but DBA were telling me that I am using truncate function but I am not using it. That's what DBA is seeing in Oracle Database WHERE  ( (TRUNC("PAID_DT") >=TO_DATE('01JAN2012','DDMONYYYY','NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE=American') ) AND  ( ( ( (TRUNC("SVC_BGN_DT") BETWEEN TO_DATE('01JAN2012','DDMONYYYY','NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE=American') AND TO_DATE('31DEC2017','DDMONYYYY','NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE=American') ) OR  (TRUNC("SVC_BGN_DT") BETWEEN TO_DATE('31DEC2017','DDMONYYYY','NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE=American') AND TO_DATE('01JAN2012','DDMONYYYY','NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE=American') ) ) ) ) 

What should I do in the code that oracle don't use the truncate function behind the scene. All the help will be appreciated.

PROC SQL;

CREATE TABLE work.Claims AS

SELECT t1.TRNSCT_CNTL_NBR,

t1.LINE_NBR,

t1.MEDICAID_ID,

t1.BILL_PRVDR_NPI

FROM RADWPUB.Table

WHERE t1.PAID_DT >= '1Jan2012'd

AND t1.SVC_BGN_DT BETWEEN '1Jan2012'd AND '31Dec2017'd

AND t1.BILL_PRVDR_NPI = '1013918960'

AND t1.CR_CD = '0';

QUIT;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

1. Why is trunc() the reason for the long run time?

2. Post the new native sql generated by by the SAS datetime

3. You can use explicit pass through to run exactly the code you want, something like:

PROC SQL;
connect using RADWPUB;
select * from connection to RADWPUB (
 SELECT TRNSCT_CNTL_NBR,
 LINE_NBR,
 MEDICAID_ID,
 BILL_PRVDR_NPI 
 FROM Table
 WHERE PAID_DT >= to_date('1Jan2012')
 AND SVC_BGN_DT BETWEEN to_date('1Jan2012') AND 
 to_date('31Dec2017')
 AND BILL_PRVDR_NPI = '1013918960'
 AND CR_CD = '0'
);
QUIT;

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Reeza
Super User
Oracle stores dates as date times and you probably are using SAS dates, which only have the date part, so TRUNC is being used to convert the dates to the same type to allow for the comparisons. If you used a DateTime instead would it help?

where t1.paid_dt >= '01Jan2012:00:00:00'dt
Ahsan
Calcite | Level 5
I am running the query right now using your suggestion I will let you know shortly.
Ahsan
Calcite | Level 5
DBA still see the truncate function your suggestion didn't work
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Why do you want to avoid using trunc()? 

Is it because indexes on the dates are not used?

Ahsan
Calcite | Level 5
it's taking a lot of time to run the query.
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

1. Why is trunc() the reason for the long run time?

2. Post the new native sql generated by by the SAS datetime

3. You can use explicit pass through to run exactly the code you want, something like:

PROC SQL;
connect using RADWPUB;
select * from connection to RADWPUB (
 SELECT TRNSCT_CNTL_NBR,
 LINE_NBR,
 MEDICAID_ID,
 BILL_PRVDR_NPI 
 FROM Table
 WHERE PAID_DT >= to_date('1Jan2012')
 AND SVC_BGN_DT BETWEEN to_date('1Jan2012') AND 
 to_date('31Dec2017')
 AND BILL_PRVDR_NPI = '1013918960'
 AND CR_CD = '0'
);
QUIT;

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@Ahsan

It's most likely not Oracle but the SAS Access to Oracle engine which adds this truncate to the code.

You can see what SAS sends to Oracle for execution if you use the following options before your query:

OPTIONS SASTRACE=',,,d' SASTRACELOC=SASLOG NOSTSUFFIX;

The Oracle trunc() function won't change the data type. It simply aligns Oracle datetime values to the beginning of the day. I guess your SAS variable contains a SAS Date and not a SAS Datetime value. 

Not sure why the SAS Oracle engine is doing this. Your best bet for having full control over the Oracle SQL is to use explicit pass-through SQL. And as you apparently got Oracle DBA support this person might then even help you to performance tweak this Oracle SQL.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

@Patrick 

>Not sure why the SAS Oracle engine is doing this. 

As the SAS value is a date and the Oracle value is a datetime, some translation must be made as some point, and trunc() is a clean and easy way to do this.

Now if this prevents indexes from being used, it becomes a ruinous solution, and the SAS Oracle engine should definitely opt for another way to match the values. If that's the case I would classify the decision to use trunc() as a non-critical performance defect.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation