BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi,
I am completly new to SAS world.

I have requirement to write the SAS macros which connects to oracle database and do certain operations (Integrate logical file, delete logical files,merge files etc) . But these macros needs not be exposed to the domain experts -though he should be able to use it to create the SAS program around it.
I have few questions
1) Can SAS macros be secured/hidden, so that user does not get to know SQL tables ?
2) Is there a centralized repository where SAS programs and macros can be stored?
3) Can we restrict the ability to write the macros to certain users? is there any role based authentication built into SAS?

Thanks in advance for the help!!
5 REPLIES 5
Flip
Fluorite | Level 6
Macros may be compiled and only the compiled image presented in a read only file system. I had a system set up like this back in V6.12 so I don't remember the exact syntax. A search on the compiled macro facility should give you the information you are looking for. http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/forum2008/101-2008.pdf

Message was edited by: Flip
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks Flip,
It helped me to solve one problem...

Thanks Message was edited by: skaviman
Flip
Fluorite | Level 6
As to the role based authentication. I have done that, but you have to build your own.
PatrickG
SAS Employee
Stored compiled macros were found to be fairly transparent, e.g. by using the
%copy statement users can see what's in there. So starting with SAS 9.1.3 (I think) we implemented Stored Secure macros.

To use this feature, add /store /secure to the %macro statement. This causes the contents of the macro to be encrypted when stored on disk. It is then decrypted when executing. See the doc page below for more details. Hope this helps.

--Pat

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/mcrolref/59526/HTML/default/macro-stmt.htm
mgst170
SAS Employee
Depending on your infrastructure (9.1 onwards), this sounds like an prime example of using SAS Stored Processes.

These would be generally be generated through Enterprise guide, and executed by users from there.

Access to execution of the STP's can be controlled from the SAS Metadata Server using SAS Management console, including the connection information to your Oracle DB's.

This authentication can be controlled/limited to certain users and/or groups.

Cheers.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation