BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Martinez77
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello SASers,

I have been creating macros(methods) in sas and would like to add a hover message to my macros . The idea is to display data to the user when the user calls the macro to further explain the parameters that should be input.

Best,

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

I think you might want to expand on what you are attempting, environment and what you have done so far. Your statement of
"display data to the user when the user calls the macro to further explain the parameters" sounds like you want to display the required paramenters after the macro has already executed i.e. "when the user calls the macro".

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I think what you are talking is about "auto-completion" which is found in most modern code editors.  Unfortunately SAS's Enhanced Editor is a bit of old beast.  The nearest thing (at least to V9.3) is abbreviations, Tools->Add Abbreviation.  Check out the docs for more info: http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/abbreviations07.pdf

Martinez77
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks all,

I ended up realizing how limited SAS is in the regards of GUI creation. Because  I was unable to create a program based on SAS alone I decided to just make a macro and hope the users will be able to understand. The idea was exactly as RW9 was describing. In python you can create functions and when the user calls the function/macro/method a small box describing the parameter is available. This provides the user more information. I just decided to use the window function to display everything once they call the macro. RW9 your link failed to bring anything up, but I'll keep trying thanks.

Thank you all for your help. Sorry for the delayed response. It was a little time sensitive.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

The doc seems to have been removed, google SAS Abbreviations should throw up the documentation.  Yes, GUI creation is pretty much non-existant in SAS.

Reeza
Super User

This is something that is available in the editor in Enterprise Guide.

But yes, the editor in Base SAS sucks. :smileyangry:

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation