BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Yao_W
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

I have a SAS MACRO to generate data and then analyze them using PROC GLIMMIX and save/output estimates of fixed effects. The trial running of 10 replications was fine so I let it run 100 replications. After waiting for a few days, it looks like the SAS MACRO finished, but, SAS is not responding. Though I got all files (so far as I checked), I am not fully sure the simulation is done and the estimates are correct. Besides, the log file and the output file are not complete for sure. I don't want to force the program to close because I want to check the log and output file.I'm afraid to lose the information. I attached the set up of my MACRO. Thanks for your time and any comments are appreciated.

PROC PRINTTO LOG= "C:\DISSERTATION\SIMULATION\LL.txt"

PRINT="C:\DISSERTATION\SIMULATION\OUTPUT.TXT" ;

*options symbolgen ;

%MACRO SIMU(MC);

%DO SSDIF=1 %TO 2;

%IF &SSDIF=1 %THEN %LET SDIF=0.5;         *STUDENT LEVEL DIF size: 0.5;

%IF &SSDIF=2 %THEN %LET SDIF=0.8;         *STUDENT LEVEL DIF size: 0.8;

%DO STDIF=1 %TO 2;

%IF &STDIF=1 %THEN %LET TDIF=0.5;         *TEACHER LEVEL DIF size: 0.5;

%IF &STDIF=2 %THEN %LET TDIF=0.8;         *TEACHER LEVEL DIF size: 0.8;

%DO SRF=1 %TO 2;

%IF &SRF=1 %THEN %LET RF=0.5;        *50% REFERENCE GROUP;

%IF &SRF=2 %THEN %LET RF=0.8;        *80% REFERENCE GROUP;

%DO NTDIF=1 %TO 4;

%IF &NTDIF=1 %THEN %LET NDIF=0.125;        *5 ITEMS;

%IF &NTDIF=2 %THEN %LET NDIF=0.25;        *10 ITEMS;

%IF &NTDIF=3 %THEN %LET NDIF=0.375;     *15 ITEMS;

%IF &NTDIF=4 %THEN %LET NDIF=0.50;      *20 ITEMS;

%DO NL=1 %TO 2;

%IF &NL=1 %THEN %LET NLVL=1;         *TEACHER-STUDENT LEVELS;

%IF &NL=2 %THEN %LET NLVL=2;         *TEACHER LEVEL ONLY;

%let FF=%sysevalf(1-&RF); 

%let step=%sysevalf(1/&FF);

/*DO-LOOP FOR replications*/;

%DO C=1 %TO &MC;

%IF &NLVL=1 %THEN %DO;  

*syntax of generate data and analyze data;

%END;

%ELSE %DO

%END;

%END;

%END;

%END;

%END;

%END;

%END;

%MEND SIMU;

%SIMU(100);

QUIT;

6 REPLIES 6
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Just a wild guess ... the problem is somewhere in

You might want to write the LOG to a file and then if you have to kill the program, you can still inspect the LOG

--
Paige Miller
Astounding
PROC Star

Yes, without the log, all suggestions fall into the category of "wild guess".  Here are a couple of ideas.

First, notice you are missing a semicolon after %ELSE %DO.  Perhaps the semicolon is actually there but the cut-and-paste-for-posting-purposes erased it.

Also, notice that one way to get this result would be if "syntax to generate data and analyze data" contained a statement like this:

%if &c > 50 %then %let c=50;

That would turn your macro logic into an infinite loop when you increase &MC to 100.

Yao_W
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, Astounding. There is a semicolon in the syntax. I must eliminate in the post by mistake.  I don't have such condition like &c>50. As I checked the log, there are errors in PROC IML for one replication  but no errors related to the logic flow.

Yao_W
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, Paige. I checked the log though. You are right, the 26th replication of one condition went wrong in PROC IML. But anything before or after is correct. So weird. I have to look up why that happened now.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

One thing to try is to make sure to end your procs and data steps with explicit RUN or QUIT statements.

You are definitely missing the RUN from the PROC PRINTTO at the top. And there is no reason why you should need a QUIT at the bottom.

Might not fix the problem but will make the log easier to read.

Yao_W
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Tom for your input. I have worked for quite a while to fix other problems and I have figured out why SAS did not respond. I forgot to change the way to show results so SAS created html showing results. Thanks again to all. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation