DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

SAS automation error and SAS Help

Frequent Contributor

SAS automation error and SAS Help

Sometimes when I double-click on a SAS program file, I get an automation error and SAS will not start. I have to kill a 'ghost' sas process which is still running in order to start SAS. The ghost process seems to appear after I've used the Help function within SAS. Any suggestions? (I'm running 9.4TS1M3 on Windows 7 x64).

Super User

Re: SAS automation error and SAS Help

Posted in reply to BruceBrad

Sounds like this could be an issue for SAS Technical Support.

Did you look if such a failed batch run leaves a log file?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Frequent Contributor

Posted in reply to KurtBremser

No log file (this is opening in interactive mode).

Super User

So it looks as if the typical SAS batch job execution fails. Since you mentioned a "ghost", could it be that the ghost is already running in the background (because you used the help beforehand?) and confuses Windows into trying to use that SAS process instead of starting a new one cleanly?

Forcing Windows to always start a new SAS process in batch mode will probably involve some tinkering with the registry (ugh).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frequent Contributor

Posted in reply to KurtBremser

On windows double clicking on a .sas file typically opens SAS up in interactive mode. I'm not trying to run batch. I think the puzzle is why if I quit SAS (after using help), a sas process stays running.

Super User

BruceBrad wrote:

I think the puzzle is why if I quit SAS (after using help), a sas process stays running.

If that's your problem, this smells like a case for SAS TS. I won't be of much help here, as I run SAS on UNIX(AIX).

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation