BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BruceBrad
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Sometimes when I double-click on a SAS program file, I get an automation error and SAS will not start. I have to kill a 'ghost' sas process which is still running in order to start SAS. The ghost process seems to appear after I've used the Help function within SAS. Any suggestions? (I'm running 9.4TS1M3 on Windows 7 x64).

8 REPLIES 8
BruceBrad
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

No log file (this is opening in interactive mode).

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

So it looks as if the typical SAS batch job execution fails. Since you mentioned a "ghost", could it be that the ghost is already running in the background (because you used the help beforehand?) and confuses Windows into trying to use that SAS process instead of starting a new one cleanly?

Forcing Windows to always start a new SAS process in batch mode will probably involve some tinkering with the registry (ugh).

BruceBrad
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

On windows double clicking on a .sas file typically opens SAS up in interactive mode. I'm not trying to run batch. I think the puzzle is why if I quit SAS (after using help), a sas process stays running.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@BruceBrad wrote:

I think the puzzle is why if I quit SAS (after using help), a sas process stays running.

If that's your problem, this smells like a case for SAS TS. I won't be of much help here, as I run SAS on UNIX(AIX).

AnneKoch
Calcite | Level 5

Earlier this year, I went from Windows 7 to 10.  That is when the problem started for me.  It only happens when I have used Help.  Did you ever get a resolution to your posting?

BruceBrad
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

From memory, I've experienced it on machines with both Win 7 and Win 10. Yes, it is associated with using the Help feature. I haven't encountered it recently - so I think upgrading SAS to 9.4 TS1M5 fixed it.

AnneKoch
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your reply to my posting.  I've been trying to get our IT department to install that release, but they are very hesitant.  Hopefully this situation will encourage them to do the install. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation