BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Chiefsfan4ever
Calcite | Level 5
Can SAS send an email when a program is complete or randomly call outlook do such a thing?
5 REPLIES 5
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
How you send email using SAS depends on your operating system. If Outlook is your configured mail service, then you can send email from SAS using Outlook.

A search of previous forum postings may help you figure out how to do emails with SAS:
http://support.sas.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=4432ᅐ
http://support.sas.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=6780᩼
http://support.sas.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=12771㇣

In order to control WHEN the email is sent, you might have to investigate using the SAS Macro facility to conditionally send the email when a program is complete. (If you don't want to send it automatically.)

cynthia
Chiefsfan4ever
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks Cynthia. Message was edited by: Chiefsfan4ever
Chiefsfan4ever
Calcite | Level 5
Am I able to keep the signature that I have already set up on my outlook in these emails? It seems to just disregard them. Also how do I change the font in the email?
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I don't really know how SAS communicates with Outlook. I suspect that you do NOT have control over "outlook-y" things like signature, fonts, etc, etc. When I send a mail using the "simple" method, it gets sent from my computer as "plain text" -- which means no fonts, etc. This happens, even though I have my Outlook default set to HTML.

If I create the email -inside- Outlook, I get my signature when I start a new mail (if I have the Tools--> Options set to insert my signature.) But, if I create the mail with SAS, then my signature is not used.

The SAS Companion for your operating system may have more information. Otherwise, you may want to work with Tech Support. (And, keep in mind that it's possible that you can ONLY send the body of the email as plain text by default because of some configuration on your system. Your mail administrator may have done something to the mail server to prevent programs from sending HTML or XML messages.)

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
I suspect that the SAS email is completely independent of Outlook (or any other email system). I generate emails on the mainframe and recently decided to code content_type=text/html, only to find that I had to use HTML code behind the scenes to create line breaks and whatever else I wanted.

For example, because I wanted to create a signature for my own emails, I had to code <span style=fontsize: 8pt > for the smaller size fonts.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation