BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SASPhile
Quartz | Level 8
is there is a reference material for SAS and DDE to excel.
or anyother alternative to DDE?I find DDE to be more confusing.
3 REPLIES 3
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
If you are working on the Business Intelligence Platform, then I would recommend the SAS Add-in for Microsoft Office instead of DDE.

If you are working in EG with SAS on a server, you will frequently find the DDE methods do not work anyway, for example, there is no Excel on a Unix server that SAS on the server could talk to.

As for alternatives to DDE, many folks are currently using OLE-DB if they are doing .NET or ActiveX or VB types of processes.

But, depending on what you need/want to do, I generally recommend that you look at ODS MSOFFICE2K, ODS MSOFFICE2K_X, ODS TAGSETS.TABLEEDITOR and/or ODS TAGSETS.EXCELXP, as either HTML or XML based output that Excel can open and render.

The only downside of the ODS methods is that you cannot write to a single cell or range of cells in an existing worksheet with ODS -- ODS would make a new output file each time it is used. Only DDE (or ODBC or OLE-DB allow you to write to a particular cell location).

cynthia
Quentin
Super User
Hi,
Not to disagree with Cynthia (I'm LOVING tagsets.excelxp) but if you decide to stick with DDE, would suggest you search SUGI proceedings for any DDE paper written by Koen Vyverman.

Actually looks like he has links on his personal site, so you don't even have to search:
http://www.sas-consultant.com/professional/papers.html.

--Q. Message was edited by: Quentin
BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
SASPhile
Quartz | Level 8
Heard about the tagsets.never tried it though.Do you suggest any authors/publications that can give insights on Tagset?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation