DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

SAS and AWS S3

Contributor

SAS and AWS S3

Would like to know if there is a way to libname directly to AWS S3 in the same way that you can in LINUX, UNIX or Windows?

Super User

Re: SAS and AWS S3

Like what from where?
Please have your requirement more detailed...
Data never sleeps
Contributor

Libnaming from a AWS EC2 hosted SAS Server directly to an AWS S3 Bucket, e.g. libname s3buck "s3://mybucket/";

SAS Super FREQ

Hi:
If you are using the AMAZON AWS and SAS University Edition in the free tier, then to work with SAS University Edition, you need to upload your files and/or SAS datasets to your /myfolders location on the AMAZON AWS and assuming you put your files in the /myfolders location and not under a new folder in that location, your libname statement would generally be:
libname mystuff '/folders/myfolders';

For any other questions about using data on the AMAZON AWS, with SAS University Edition, you might want to post your question on the SAS Analytics U forum.

Otherwise, if you are using the AMAZON AWS, but not the SAS University Edition on the free tier, then you might be better off working with your service provide or working with Tech Support for this question.

cynthia
Contributor

The question is not related to SAS University.  The question is related to whether SAS can directly interface via libnames to S3 as a file server, or if there is another way of connecting with ease.

Thanks

G

Super Contributor

Hi gra_in_aus,

I'm also trying to find out if there any in-built procedures or process in SAS to upload files to AWS S3? and how to establish connectvity between SAS and AWS?f you have answers can you please share them?

Thanks,

S.

Contributor

Hi SASPhile,

Apparently in SAS 9.4m4 maintenance release there is a new PROC S3 procedure.  I am lead to believe that it has basic functionality for data movement to S3. 

Many Thanks

G

Super Contributor

I'm using 9.4 M3. Cant find it.

but how to set up S3 on machine? Is there a free version to test it out how SAS and S3 works?

Contributor

Apologies for the confusing you need to have the 4th maintenance release installed.  

https://communities.sas.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/library/article-id/1696

Super User

If that location is available to you in the SAS server instance it should probably work.
But I think that this question should be directed to your service provider (unless you can test it yourself).
Data never sleeps
Senior User

Found the below SAS Note useful, libnames will not work for earlier releases hence this is the best way

http://support.sas.com/kb/57/091.html

Also I have heard S3 can mounted as driver on Linux Servers but does the permission/authentication to connect to the bucket remain as is has not been tested by me.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation