BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
gra_in_aus
Quartz | Level 8

Would like to know if there is a way to libname directly to AWS S3 in the same way that you can in LINUX, UNIX or Windows?

18 REPLIES 18
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Like what from where?
Please have your requirement more detailed...
Data never sleeps
gra_in_aus
Quartz | Level 8

Libnaming from a AWS EC2 hosted SAS Server directly to an AWS S3 Bucket, e.g. libname s3buck "s3://mybucket/";

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
If you are using the AMAZON AWS and SAS University Edition in the free tier, then to work with SAS University Edition, you need to upload your files and/or SAS datasets to your /myfolders location on the AMAZON AWS and assuming you put your files in the /myfolders location and not under a new folder in that location, your libname statement would generally be:
libname mystuff '/folders/myfolders';

For any other questions about using data on the AMAZON AWS, with SAS University Edition, you might want to post your question on the SAS Analytics U forum.

Otherwise, if you are using the AMAZON AWS, but not the SAS University Edition on the free tier, then you might be better off working with your service provide or working with Tech Support for this question.

cynthia
gra_in_aus
Quartz | Level 8

The question is not related to SAS University.  The question is related to whether SAS can directly interface via libnames to S3 as a file server, or if there is another way of connecting with ease.

Thanks

G

SASPhile
Quartz | Level 8

Hi gra_in_aus,

I'm also trying to find out if there any in-built procedures or process in SAS to upload files to AWS S3? and how to establish connectvity between SAS and AWS?f you have answers can you please share them?

Thanks,

S.

gra_in_aus
Quartz | Level 8

Hi SASPhile,

Apparently in SAS 9.4m4 maintenance release there is a new PROC S3 procedure.  I am lead to believe that it has basic functionality for data movement to S3. 

Many Thanks

G

SASPhile
Quartz | Level 8

I'm using 9.4 M3. Cant find it.

but how to set up S3 on machine? Is there a free version to test it out how SAS and S3 works?

gra_in_aus
Quartz | Level 8

Apologies for the confusing you need to have the 4th maintenance release installed.  

https://communities.sas.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/library/article-id/1696

sachaanu0
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am using SAS University Edition Enterprise Miner, SAS Studio on AWS.

Trying to load a file to the SAS environment from my Macbook.

Could you please highlight steps/video on how to  upload data to /myfolders location on the AMAZON AWS? -- Such that it is available in SAS environment.

Thanks

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
If that location is available to you in the SAS server instance it should probably work.
But I think that this question should be directed to your service provider (unless you can test it yourself).
Data never sleeps
ankitd
Obsidian | Level 7

Found the below SAS Note useful, libnames will not work for earlier releases hence this is the best way

http://support.sas.com/kb/57/091.html

Also I have heard S3 can mounted as driver on Linux Servers but does the permission/authentication to connect to the bucket remain as is has not been tested by me.

ankitd
Obsidian | Level 7

S3 is Amazon's data storage system and can be used for saving files and utilizing when requried.

If you are going with S3 you can either use the AWS CLI (by installing it on the server) to establish connection with S3 and use files.

You can mount S3 buckets on the server (this will then work as any other mount point).

Proc S3 can be used for accessing data.

If you are using S3 then you will have to create buckets in it and restrict the access of each bucket.

Regards,

Ankit

gauravp1993
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I was trying to use Proc S3 to connect to S3 folders by following steps mentioned by SAS documentation(http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/proc/70377/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n1volodm4xnj3xn1s99po...) like creating configuration file.

After running commands like listing folder, i get a timed out error after few minutes of running Proc S3.

Couold you please help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

ankitd
Obsidian | Level 7

Gaurav, you will need to check on the S3 front and also enable workspace server logs and check the reason for the time out.

This could be a long running code or a heavy amount of data being fetched.

Network level checks would also need to be performed to ensure that no such timeout time has been set.

Hope the above checks help in narrowing down the issue.

Regards,

Ankit.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 like
  • 9 in conversation