BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I've access to 'SAS access interface to PC files' and my SAS 9.4 was installed in AIX server. When I tried to import\export local (C:\) files, I got the error as follows. Do I need in to install SAS in local drive to make it happen? Even If I do so, can I access files from server after I do local (C:\) installation.?

16         LIBNAME myfile 'c:\FCU.csv';

NOTE: Library MYFILE does not exist.

19         proc import datafile=myfile out=rawdata dbms=csv;

20         run;

NOTE: Unable to open parameter catalog: SASUSER.PARMS.PARMS.SLIST in update mode. Temporary parameter values will be saved to

1. WORK.PARMS.PARMS.SLIST.

ERROR: Physical file does not exist, /data/rawdata/SAS_93/biserver/Lev1/SASApp/MYFILE.

ERROR: Import unsuccessful.  See SAS Log for details.

3 REPLIES 3
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Your AIX server is UNIX! This means that you have to acquaint yourself with the UNIX filesystem syntax.

So the moronic windows style filenames will not work. UNIX has no drive letters, and uses the forward slash to separate directory names.

Your libname statement cannot work at all, libraries are represented as directories in the filesystem, and not as files!

You probably tried to assign a logical filename; use the filename statement for that.

In order to open a file that resides on your PC, you either have to transfer it to the AIX server first or have a network share connection set up (AD, Novell, NFS) so that the AIX server can "see" a directory that you can also use from your PC.

Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Got the same error with the file name statement as well.

May I request you to elaborate 'have a network share connection set up (AD, Novell, NFS) so that the AIX server can "see" a directory that you can also use from your PC'? So that I can ask network team to complete the set up.

What will be the likely answer for my question on , Do I need in to install SAS in local drive to make it happen? Even If I do so, can I access files from server after I do local (C:\) installation.?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

SAS is delivered with a specific license for a specific system environment. You also receive your media (or package download) for that specific environment.

So while there will be software that can be installed on several platforms (things like the Management Console, which is Java-based), your base SAS will only be installable on the main target platform. So you most likely will not have SAS for Windows.

You need to make your wanted infile (FCU.csv) visible for the SAS system on AIX. In order to do this, your adminstrator can set up a network share that is both visible by your PC and the SAS server, and supply you with the path names in the respective environments. Or you can simply transfer the file to the AIX server with a program like WinSCP.

For both of these options to work, you need to get a grasp on how files are named/found in a UNIX system. Learn what the root directory is, where your home directory is located, and the difference between relative and absolute path names.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation