CREATE TABLE ext.Test AS
SELECT * FROM CONNECTION TO ODBC
(
select DateTime from dbo.Date);
%PUT &SQLXMSG;
%PUT &SQLXRC;
DISCONNECT FROM odbc;
quit;

Pretty simple connection to ODBC. But after upgrading to version 9 it gives me the following error:
464 libname ext 'C:\';
NOTE: Libref EXT was successfully assigned as follows:
Engine: V9
Physical Name: C:\
465 PROC SQL;
466 CONNECT TO ODBC(prompt);
ERROR: The ODBC engine cannot be found.
ERROR: A Connection to the ODBC DBMS is not currently supported, or is not installed at your
site.
467 CREATE TABLE ext.Test AS
468 SELECT * FROM CONNECTION TO ODBC
469 (
470 select DateTime from dbo.Date);
ERROR: The ODBC engine cannot be found.
ERROR: A Connection to the ODBC DBMS is not currently supported, or is not installed at your
site.
471 %PUT &SQLXMSG;
site.
472 %PUT &SQLXRC;
473 DISCONNECT FROM odbc;
ERROR: Connection to the odbc DBMS does not exist.
474 quit;

When I run PROC SETINIT;run; it shows that I do have an ODBC engine... what is the hold up here?
4 REPLIES 4
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Are you sure that SAS/ACCESS was properly installed in SAS9?
I think this issue is best solved by SAS tech support.

Regards,
Linus
Data never sleeps
pmiddlet72
Calcite | Level 5

Late post i just realized. But that's totally a SAS/ACCESS to ODBC issue. You need a driver manager and the proper driver to the database you intend to contact.

As an additional, yet important note: Depending on if this is a server installation or not, you will also need to deal with what sort of user/pass credentials your db uses.  For security purposes, many companies are going, or have gone to using ldap to authorize users. For example, if you are in an environment that requires you use a user/pass from an active directory (ie single sign on / SSO) that will need to be considered when configuring ODBC connection parameters to those data sources. This as we've found can be a big deal and all efforts should be made in checking through these requirements first as any single source of information on how to set this up is not to be found.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

It would be helpful to know what operating system you are using with SAS and what database you are trying to connect to. If you are using Windows then you can configure/test ODBC connections in the ODBC Administrator tool of Windows Control Panel. It will also list what ODBC drivers you have installed.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Still, the error implies that there something missing in the installation, not any ODBC manager configuration issue,

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation