BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
finans_sas
Quartz | Level 8

Dear Community Members,

I have been trying to make the program below run, but so far I have failed. I have a dataset with multiple periods, and for each period, I want to run a bunch of models. The loops keep getting stock at per=1 (it won't go to the next one), and it will also give an error saying that model1 (and others) cannot be found.

I attached a sample of my dataset (2 periods and 2 models). In the full version, I have 5 periods and 24 models, and I would have to manually run this program 120 times. I would really appreciate your help with this issue.

%macro twostep;

%do per=1 %to 2;

%do m=1 %to 2;

%let model1= vret_msa mktrf100;    *model specification;

%let model2= vret_msa mktrf100 ind_ret;

data perret&per; set 14_samplesas;

if period=&per;

proc sort data=perret&per; by permno myear; run;

/*Regressions*/

ods listing close;

ods output parameterestimates=pe&per&m;

proc reg data=perret&per;

by permno;

model ereturn_i =model&m;

run;

quit;

ods listing;

ods rtf file="C:\SAS\results\period&per model&m.rtf" style=journal;

proc means data=pe&per&m mean std t probt;

var estimate; class variable;

run;

*By variable by variable, it calculates the mean, standard deviation, t-statistics and p-value of the

coefficient estimates;

proc sort data=pe&per&m; by variable; run;

ods rtf close;

%end;

%end;

%mend;

%twostep;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kbohle
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I think you want to use the content of the macro variable 'model1' and 'model2' in the regression.

by permno;

run;

Therefore please try to change it like the following:

by permno;

model ereturn_i =&model&&m;

run;

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Hi,

Well first issue I see is this line:

Which is the one giving you that model1 not found.  I think what you are attempting to do is to use the macro variable you defined earlier model1 which is vret_msa mktrf100.  This isn't resolving, so the data code is resolving to try to find a variable called model1 which doesn't exist.  Let me have a further look and suggest some code.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

In addition to the issue, some suggestions:

The below uses call execute to directly generate the required code.

data _null_;
  array models{2} $200. ("vret_msa mktrf100","vret_msa mktrf100 ind_ret");
  do i=1 to 2;
    call execute('proc sql;
                    create table WORK.TMP as
                    select  *
                    from    A.A14
                    where   PERIOD='||put(i,1.)||';
                  quit;

ods _all_ close;
                  ods output parameterestimates=pe'||put(i,1.)||strip(models{i})';
                  proc reg data=work.tmp;
                    by permno;
                    model ereturn_i='||strip(models{i})||';
                  run;
                  quit;
                  ods rtf file="s:\temp\rob\period_'||put(i,1.)||'_model_'||strip(models{i})||' style=journal;
                  proc means data=pe'||put(i,1.)||strip(models{i})';
                    var estimate;
                    class variable;
                  run;
                  ods rtf close;');
  end;
run;

You could also use call execute to generate the code to call you macro like:

%macro twostep (period=,model=);

%mend twostep;

data _null_;
  array models{2} $200. ("vret_msa mktrf100","vret_msa mktrf100 ind_ret");
  do i=1 to 2;
    call execute('%twostep (period='||put(i,1.)||',model='||strip(models{i})');');
  end;
run;

kbohle
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I think you want to use the content of the macro variable 'model1' and 'model2' in the regression.

by permno;

run;

Therefore please try to change it like the following:

by permno;

model ereturn_i =&model&&m;

run;

overmar
Obsidian | Level 7

Change it to &&model&m having the second & at the m doesn't resolve it because there isn't a macro variable called &model, putting the second & in front of the model statement resolves it to &model1 or &model2 which is what finaans_sas was looking for.

kbohle
Fluorite | Level 6

Your right - sorry was a typo during entring the code!    Smiley Sad

finans_sas
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you all for your help with this problem. After changing model name to &&model&m, the program started running smoothly. I just have one more question: This program generates multiple RTF documents. Is there a way to use something like "proc append" in ODS output inside the loop and create a single RTF?

overmar
Obsidian | Level 7

put the ods rtf close after the second %end statement so that the macro does everything before it closes out the the rtf. One word of caution however is you may want to add a title statement to your proc reg statement to output some kind of information so you at least know what each of the outputed tables are. But I can't remember if proc reg will take a title statement, so you may actually need to put the title statement outside of a proc and have it changed, but otherwise that should do what you want it to.

jwillis
Quartz | Level 8

Finans,

Move your current ODS RTF statements outside the macro and add "ODS RTF startpage=now" where you have 'ODS RTF FILE...' in the macro.

finans_sas
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you all once again for your help. I am going to start a new discussion on this ODS output issue as my original question was answered.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Today is the last day to save with the early bird rate! Register today for just $695 - $100 off the standard rate.

Plus, pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 13 likes
  • 5 in conversation