DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

SAS Email Macro

Occasional Contributor

SAS Email Macro

I am new to SAS. I have created a macro to email users and send attachments based on RecType.    I would like to use a macro  to send these emails.   Is it possible to use a macro that uses a  list where it references recType and email address for my current macro? So
the program sees what reccd it is, then sets the email macro variable &email. or something to whatever the corresponding email address is on that list.  Then in the call execute statement the email goes to you, and “&email.” 
:smileygrin: A macro in a macro.

Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: SAS Email Macro

Yes, a DATA step could be used to read a file / list with INPUT, then construct the macro-invocation command you mention with the CALL EXECUTE.   Your EMAIL-generation macro would need to take any variable information as the macro variable parameters supplied when your DATA step invokes the CALL EXECUTE.

Scott Barry

SBBWorks, Inc.

Occasional Contributor

Would the syntax for the email macro be something along the lines of?

%macro send_mail(RecType= , Contact=);

data Temp_Email;

set KT.email_list;

If RecType=&RecType then do

run;

%Mend;

Super Contributor
Super Contributor

The EMAIL macro would generate the EMAIL...invoked iteratively for each EMAIL-recipient from your list (possibly a SAS file/member).  The macro would contain SAS code that likely uses FILENAME and EMAIL engine to generate your EMAILs.

A DATA step would be used to drive the CALL EXECUTE processing -- you must use SAS code to build the SAS macro invocation statements as the argument passed to CALL EXECUTE.

You have to start with generating / compiling your EMAIL-recipient list, either from an external information source or possibly directly from a SAS file.

Suggest you search the Internet with argument "data step call execute invoke macro" for documentation / example references.

Scott Barry

SBBWorks, Inc.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation