BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
vijayanand
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

My requirement is to migrate the SAS application programs and  SAS datasets  (of SAS 9.1.3) which currently are on Mainfrmaes to Linux with the version upgradation of SAS 9.4. Once the data and programs are migrated, my Linux environemnt shoudl produce the same results as teh current Mainframes environment is producing, but with better performace. Can somebody help me with the answers to my following questions.

1) Would there be any challenge in using CIMPORT in Linux (SAS 9.4) as CPORT on mainframes would prepare the transport files using sas 9.1.3?

2) To move the SAS datasets, is there a better option than using CPORT and CIMPORT. I assume that CPORT and CIMPORT procedures would automatically handle the EBCDIC to ASCII conversion.

3) What is the best way of migrating the application programs from mainframes (SAS 9.1.3) to Linux(SAS 9.4).  What changes do these sas programs require in the target environment in general and any other possible challenges.

4) How can I use PROC MIGRATE in the context of migrating data and application program.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

#3 is going to be long and cumbersome. How many programs do you have? What type of programs are they, data manipulation, statistical analysis, reporting? 

Between 9.1 and 9.4 there have been a lot of changes especially in the graphing Procs. 

PS 9.1 to 9.4 is moving 10-12 years. 

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

1) Be sure to transfer files in binary mode. Other than that, see your question 2)

2) I'm not sure about this. TYou need to verify this statement.

3) SAS programs are plain text files. Changes required is anything that points to the host, like file names/location, librefs etc. Unfortunately, I think this quite a manual work. Be aware of that many settings are allowed in ZOS cards, you need to decide where to put SAS sessions settings in the new environment, like on the SAS command, config/autoexec (which?)...

The you might have stuff in catalogs. But that will probably work with CPORT.

4) See the doc for explanations.

A part from this, there's migration calculator, and much other tools for migration in the Migration focus area at support.sas.com that should be helpful to you.

Data never sleeps
SASKiwi
PROC Star

2) CPORT / CIMPORT is the best way. CPORT on the mainframe will create an ASCII transport file. From memory I think you have to ensure the transport file is fixed block - FB - with 80 character record length.

You then transfer it to Linux using binary mode where CIMPORT should be able to read it without any more modification. There shouldn't be any issues moving between SAS versions. 

error_prone
Barite | Level 11

3) You have to change all libname, filename, infile an file statement (at least). An be aware, that differences in numeric precision exist, see http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrcon/68089/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0ji1unv6thm0dn1gp4t... for details.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation