BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
advoss
Quartz | Level 8

My apologies if this is not the correct forum; please advise me of a more appropriate forum.

I am using SAS Connect to connect my Windows workstation to a UNIX work station (SASDEV1).

I can/do access the UNIX SAS libraries on my Windows workstation using LIBNAME statements with the SLIBREF option.

Is there a way that I can reference/work with my local SAS libraries on the UNIX session?  I know that I can PROC UPLOAD the data,

Something like:

SIGNON  SCRIPT=RLINKUN9 REMOTE=SASDEV1;

libname UNIXWORK SERVER=SASDEV1 SLIBREF=WORK;

libname LOCALPRM 'C:\LOCALPRM';

RSUBMIT SASDEV1;

libname WINDOWSP ???? WLIBREF=LOCALPRM;

libname WINDOWSP clear;

ENDRSUBMIT;

SIGNOFF SCRIPT=RLINKUN9 REMOTE=SASDEV1;

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
7 REPLIES 7
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Here are a couple of options to check out:

1) Signon from remote SAS session on the Unix workstation back to your PC. You will have to ensure that the Unix SAS session has a signon script that will work back on your Windows PC and your PC security setup may have to be changed to allow remote connections from the Unix box. Then you can assign SLIBREF-type LIBNAMEs referencing your PC libraries exactly like you are doing already.

2) Create network shares on Unix to point back to your PC folders, something like //mypc/mycdrive/myfolder. This will probably require help from your IT network people. With a network share you just put the full path in a standard LIBNAME statement. You may also need the LIBNAME option to store SAS data in cross-platform format as you are working across operating systems.  

advoss
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks, SASKiwi.

I had thought of your option 1, but IT does not allow us to connect to Windows workstations...security risk.  For similar reasons, I'm pretty sure that option 2 is not allowed, either.

But, thank you for your input.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Then how about a central file share that is accessible to both your PC and your Unix workstation? Or just use PROC UPLOAD as you have already mentioned.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Could you do the same the other way round? From the Unix box to Windows?

If so then you could nest the rsubmits: first connect to Unix and then within this session rsubmit back to Windows - and define the remote library as seen from the Unix box (so the slibref within the outer rsubmit block.

advoss
Quartz | Level 8

Sorry, but within our environment, we can't SIGNON to Windows workstations.

I thought that there was, perhaps in SAS V8 a system option that allowed the passing of the a libref from the client to the server, but I must have just dreamed that.  And, if it wasn't a dream, it was probably only for the WORK library.

Thanks, everyone, for the input.

advoss
Quartz | Level 8

That's was what I was looking for.  Thank you, Peter.  I'll go read the information, now.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation