BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

where Funded_DT <> "01JAN1900";

ERROR: Expression using not equals (^=) has components that are of different data types.

Im not sure what I need to do to get this to run without erroring. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
You specify a date literal with an d at the end of the variable, otherwise SAS assumes that its just a character variable, and how would it know otherwise 😉

I personally prefer the NE rather than <> for not equals, but its a preference. I think at one time SAS didn't interpret it as not equals, so you may want to verify that it does in your version.

where Funded_DT ne "01JAN1900"d;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User
You specify a date literal with an d at the end of the variable, otherwise SAS assumes that its just a character variable, and how would it know otherwise 😉

I personally prefer the NE rather than <> for not equals, but its a preference. I think at one time SAS didn't interpret it as not equals, so you may want to verify that it does in your version.

where Funded_DT ne "01JAN1900"d;
SASKiwi
PROC Star

where Funded_DT <> "01JAN1900"d;

ryanhawkeyejedi
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you both for your help...Im still a newbie. 🙂 I appreciate both quick responses! Happy Holidays!!!
ndp
Quartz | Level 8 ndp
Quartz | Level 8

Use where Funded_DT <> "01JAN1900"D; Hopefully you are using apprpriate option YEARCUTOFF

ryanhawkeyejedi
Calcite | Level 5
What is YEARCUTOFF?
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The YEARCUTOFF option sets the century for SAS dates if one is not specified. For example if you had used 01JAN00 instead of 01JAN1900 - does that mean 1900 or 2000?

In your case you are specifying the century so I don't think YEARCUTOFF applies. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation