BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi All.

I am using SAS ETL for my project work where we are also dealing with Base SAS and SAS Macros.

Just wanted to check where we can get the globally accepted standards for SAS Coding and Naming conversions.

Request you to suggest such document or a link where I can get the SAS Coding and Naming Standards.

Any help or suggestion regarding the SAS standards would be highly appreciated.
regards
Kapil Agrawal
6 REPLIES 6
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
The SAS documentation has the technical requirements and limitations for variable names (number of characters, beginning characters, length, etc.), but I suspect that is not what you are asking about.

SAS, per se, does not have any Coding and Naming standards. Some books have proposed best practices, but it is pretty much left to each organization to establish (or not) their own.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Okies.

Thanks a lot 🙂
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hello All

Have a question regarding the length of the program and its affects in CPU time.

I have a very old program which is of 100 lines and without any coding standards (it was all mess). I have modified the code with respect to coding standards, which brought the program upto 400 lines approx.

Question: Does that affect the run time of the program, meaning does it increase CPU time. I personally think it would not affect.

NOTE: I did not change any logic.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks!
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Bobby,

Not necessarily. The program written without standards may have been written very efficiently in terms of CPU and I/O time, but not efficiently in terms of program maintenance or portability.

The only way to know is to run both programs under various conditions.

I have a friend who writes very obscure SAS code, but it runs like greased lightning. He knows the way the SAS statements and programs run AND how to take the most advantage of his hardware platform.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Suggestion: piggy-back'ing on a year-old forum POST - why? As an alternative, if needed, provide a pasted link to the prior post/thread if needed.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi SBB - Yeah I would like to open a new thread, but when I did a search with a keyword, I found this thread with related/familier subject, hence I posted it here.

Suggestion taken!!!

Thanks

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation