BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
swati428
Calcite | Level 5

Hi friends

What are all the steps to perform in trouble shooting,when users normally have performance issues.

lets a user sas code normally used to run for 15 mins, but its taking now 1 to 2 hrs, what are all the things I need to check

as part of the trouble shooting this issue.

I really appreciate if any one can help me providing detail steps

Thank you

Priya

2 REPLIES 2
Astounding
PROC Star

My list is:

• Verify that there are zero changes to the code itself.
  • Check the log to see where the time increase took place, and whether it is an increase in CPU time or an increase in clock time.
  • Check the size of the incoming data sets to see if that changed.
  • Check #1 for contention for resources:  was there a temporary lack of a resource such as work space.
  • Check #2 for contention for resources:  did another user tie up a key resource input data set, making it unavailable.
  • If reading from tables, check when stats for those tables were last updated.  Reading from tables without stats can take much longer.
ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

I'd add to the list from @Astounding use the FULLSTIMER option which can often give useful clues to the cause of performance problems. You can find further info here -> https://support.sas.com/rnd/scalability/tools/fullstim/index.html

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation