BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
John_Mayer
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I'm going for the SAS Base Programmer Certification because jobs that I've come across which interest me have SAS in most of the requirement lists. I'm going through the Base Programmer study guide now, but realise that the curriculum is expecting that I have Base SAS for use, and I do not. But I'm so far having no issues with the material.

Question 1: Would taking the test seem foolish in light of my not having used the software before? (same question for second level programmer cert as well, most likely)

Question 2: if yes, does anyone have a suggestion for getting Base SAS cost-effectively, or any other supportive input? I do not have a corporate budget here, I'm a one-man shop.

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
reneeharper
SAS Employee

I moved your post into this community in hopes that the folks here can provide a better response to you.  You may also be interested in SAS OnDemand for Professionals.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
reneeharper
SAS Employee

I moved your post into this community in hopes that the folks here can provide a better response to you.  You may also be interested in SAS OnDemand for Professionals.

Good luck.

FriedEgg
SAS Employee

SAS OnDemand for Professionals is definitely the most cost-effective way to license SAS for your intended purpose, I think it is about one to two hundred dollars for year license and gives you access to a large number of products to tool around with.  Since you are going the self taught route.  Other options would be to take a lectured class which provides you access to SAS as part of the fee.  There are a number of community colleges and universities who offer classes in addition to ones offered directly from SAS.  I do not think there is a issue with taking the exams without ever really touching the system.  It depends on the type of learner you are.  Some find it easy to just memorize syntax and understand how it would work, other need to see-to-beleive so to speak.

Best of luck, again!

GreggB
Pyrite | Level 9

these posts interest me because i am Base SAS certified and have been thinking of going for the advanced programmer certification.  do you think SAS OnDemand would prepare me for that or is it better to purchase the elearning courses offered by SAS?  Thanks.

Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I used the elearning courses and passed the advanced certification exam a few years ago. there are very good.

MikeJ_sas
SAS Employee

While I do agree that it depends on your learning style, many people like working throught the examples when studying a tutorial or taking a course.  If you are interested in SAS OnDemand for Professionals, you can find a bit more of information about it here (including pricing):

http://support.sas.com/learn/ondemand/professionals/index.html

SAS OnDemand for Professionals gives customers access to SAS hosted server where you can run through practice exercises and access data used in many of the SAS e-learning courses. It is currently only available in the US at the moment, but if you reside in antoher country you can join an interest list to be notified when it becomes available using the link above.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation