BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
kumargupt
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am writting the content of SAS dataset to Oracle using Bulkload.
After loaing the data to Oracle table I observed that the character columns are having the trailing blanks.

Is there any bulkload option I can use to remove the trailing blanks?

Refer the below code that I was using for Bulkload.

proc append base=olaptable(BULKLOAD=YES
         BL_LOG="/sas/bl_lltemp.log" 
         BL_CONTROL="/sas/bl_fcst_results_stg0_0.ctl"
         BL_DATAFILE="/sas//bl_datafile.dat"
         BL_BADFILE="/sas//bl_data.bad" 
         BL_OPTIONS='ERRORS=50'
         BL_DISCARDFILE="/sas//bl_datadsc.dsc"
         BL_PRESERVE_BLANKS=YES 
         bl_return_warnings_as_errors=yes 
         )      
     data=sasorac.sasds1;

run;

Quick Help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kiran.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

"CAUTION:

When this option is set to YES, any trailing blank spaces are also inserted. For this reason, use this option with caution. It is recommended that you set this option to YES only for CHAR columns. Do not set this option to YES for VARCHAR2 columns because trailing blank spaces are significant in VARCHAR2 columns."

I guess that there is no real work around, unless to specify it for specific columns rather than the whole table. Or as some post processing to BL file or loaded Oracle table, but that would obviously take away some of the benefits of using bulk load.
Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

"CAUTION:

When this option is set to YES, any trailing blank spaces are also inserted. For this reason, use this option with caution. It is recommended that you set this option to YES only for CHAR columns. Do not set this option to YES for VARCHAR2 columns because trailing blank spaces are significant in VARCHAR2 columns."

I guess that there is no real work around, unless to specify it for specific columns rather than the whole table. Or as some post processing to BL file or loaded Oracle table, but that would obviously take away some of the benefits of using bulk load.
Data never sleeps
kumargupt
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the feedback.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation