BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sorosch
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

i want to insert a SAS Date from a SAS Table into a Oracle Date-column.

I searched already in Google and in this forum - but i get always:

ERROR: Value 7 on the SELECT clause does not match the data type of the corresponding column listed after the INSERT table name.

The Oracle table looks like:

CREATE TABLE "TEST_TABLE"
   (   
    "REPORT_CREATION" DATE
   )

The date-column "mdupdate" in the SAS Table is "alphanumeric 20" and it is shown: "29Jun2016:14:55:56"

One example i tried is:

PROC SQL;

INSERT INTO
        ORADB.TEST_TABLE (REPORT_CREATION)
    SELECT
        put(mdupdate,datetime22.)
    from
        SB0520C.REPORTS;

QUIT;

or i tried it with:

mdupdate format=datetime22.

But i get always an error.

How must i format the date correct?

Can someone help please?

Thank you very much

Best regards

George

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

SAS has numeric and character variables. It sounds like you have a char variable. 

Oracle will want a numeric variable with a datetime format. 

Try input instead of put, which will convert your char variable to a numeric variable. 

Input(mdupdate, datetime20.) format = datetime20.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

SAS has numeric and character variables. It sounds like you have a char variable. 

Oracle will want a numeric variable with a datetime format. 

Try input instead of put, which will convert your char variable to a numeric variable. 

Input(mdupdate, datetime20.) format = datetime20.

sorosch
Fluorite | Level 6
Life could be so easy....)

Thank you very much Reeza.

Input(mdupdate, datetime20.) format = datetime20. --> this was the solution!

Thank you very much for your very fast help! Great work!

Best regards
George
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

The SAS Access to Oracle Engine communicates with the Oracle client to communicate with your Oracle server.

In doing so the Access Engine must know of which data type a SAS variable should become for Oracle. Now standard SAS has only 2 variable types - numeric or character. So for SAS to pass on the correct type to Oracle (Date), SAS needs to know that the SAS variable of type Numeric represents a SAS Date or Datetime. The way SAS gets that is via the Format assigned to the numeric SAS variable - BUT: The SAS variable must remain numeric and not get converted to a string like done in your code.

IF you have already a permanend DATETIME. format assigned to variable "mdupdate" the you can just use it directly as below:

PROC SQL;
    INSERT INTO 
    SELECT 
        mdupdate 
    from 
        SB0520C.REPORTS;
QUIT;

IF "mdupdate" doesn't have a permanent format applied then something like below should work:

PROC SQL;
    INSERT INTO 
    SELECT 
        mdupdate format=datetime21.
    from 
        SB0520C.REPORTS;
QUIT;

What you also can do, is using data set option "dbtype" - but this should only be necessary in very special situations. http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/acreldb/69039/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p1dqaq7ub1cm1pn1ow...

BTW: I've made the experience that the SAS Access to Oracle engine doesn't recognize all SAS Date and Datetime formats (=eventually converting the SAS variable to an Oracle column of type numeric). If you want to stay on the save side then use DATE9. and DATETIME21.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation