BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
arpanshah
Calcite | Level 5

I am testing the SAS/Access to Vertica Interface. I would like to know if there is a way to INSERT data into a Vertica table, from a SAS dataset, using the SQL pass-through facility or the LIBNAME option?

In my program,

- I have a SAS dataset stored on disk

- I would like to read that dataset and insert all the data into a table in Vertica

Can this be done? I would like SAS to create the table and insert all the rows. Do I have to pre-define the table definition or can SAS create it knowing Vertica data types and syntax? Is this even possible cause I haven't found any examples that do this.

Any support or pointers to code examples will be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Oh sorry I misread. You want 2  columns in a new data base table?

Then this should work no?

proc sql; drop table VMART.TESTSAS; quit;

proc append base=VMART.TESTSAS data=DATADIR.APPTEST(keep=ID_EVNT ID_APPTEST); run;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

I don't know Vertica, but assuming it is similar to other databases, standard SAS code should work.

data VERTLIB.TAB;

set SASLIB. TAB;

run;

proc copy should also work (and is preferable).

arpanshah
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, but I will try to better articulate my problem here with code. I apologize but I am a beginner SAS developer:

Following is the simple SAS CODE:

libname datadir "~/data";

proc sql;
connect to vertica as vmart ( server="&rmtsrv" port=5433 database=verpoc user="&rmtuser" password="&rmtpw" INSERT_SQL=YES );
create table datadir.apptest as
select * from connection to vmart (select * from poc.apptest where extract (year from dttm_val) > 1582 limit 100);

disconnect from vmart;

***The above code created a sas dataset called apptest.sas7bdat in the data directory. 

***I would now like to insert 2 columns from the apptest.sas7bdat into a new testsas table in the database.

proc sql;
connect to vertica as vmart ( server="&rmtsrv" port=5433 database=verpoc user="&rmtuser" password="&rmtpw" INSERT_SQL=YES );
select * from connection to vmart (insert into poc.testsas select id_evnt,id_apptest from datadir.apptest);

I know I cannot do what is highlighted in red because it executes on Vertica and that datadir.apptest is not valid.

I would like to know how I can Read rows from apptest.sas7bdat and insert them into Vertica and potentially insert the full sas apptest.sas7bdat dataset, after manipulation, back into Vertica. What is the right SQL pass-through syntax or alternative way to run the insert? Is there any bulk insert supported from the script?

Thanks. 

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

You must do something like:

libname VMART vertica server="&rmtsrv" port=5433 database=verpoc user="&rmtuser" password="&rmtpw" INSERT_SQL=YES ;

proc append data=VMART.TESTSAS append=DATADIR.APPTEST;

run;

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Oh sorry I misread. You want 2  columns in a new data base table?

Then this should work no?

proc sql; drop table VMART.TESTSAS; quit;

proc append base=VMART.TESTSAS data=DATADIR.APPTEST(keep=ID_EVNT ID_APPTEST); run;

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Or PROC APPEND.
Or SQL INSERT INTO.
Or...etc
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation