BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SAS_Enthusiast
Calcite | Level 5

Hello everyone.

I currently work with Base SAS 9.1 and we will be moving in the near future to Base SAS 9.4.

We rely heavily on scripts that export to Excel files either using proc export or a excel libname.

The SAS 9.4 implementation team advised us that the version that will be implemented will not have the Add On "SAS/ACCESS® 9.4 Interface to PC Files" and thus we would be unable to continue using proc export and excel libnames to export our data to excel files.

I tried to read some documentation but I could not get a clear answer from it.

Does anyone knows if it is possible to use proc export / excel libnames without having this add on? If not what other options could we pursue to be able to export to excel.

Many thanks

5 REPLIES 5
gcleggs
Calcite | Level 5

In SAS 9.4, the Interface to PC Files is no longer required to write to Excel. See https://communities.sas.com/kntur85557/attachments/kntur85557/sas-community-denmark/418/1/8OKT_16_Ne.... You will find the procedures explained to continue exporting to Excel.

Reeza
Super User

ODS Excel is available if your on TS1M3

It doesn't appear to allow you to use libname and Proc export eithout SAS/Access. 

This seems like a weird decision to not purchase the module. It will probably cost you more in time /labour to update/change code. 

MGC1
Calcite | Level 5
I am on maintaince 4 --- is ODS excel available? why is the modules so expensive? over $2,500 first year and $777 followup renewal? for a simple file transfer utilitity?
Reeza
Super User

XLSX doesn't need this and yes ODS EXCEL is available so you have two options. 

Why? Because they can and the money spent will save you time. I want to be paid for my work, I assume other developers/analysts do too. I don't work for SAS though...

ODS Excel file='path to XLSX file' style = meadow;
Proc print data=SASHELP.class;
Run;

ODS Excel close;

Proc export data=SASHELP.class outfile = 'path to xlsx' dbms=XLSX replace; run;
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Also if you ever need to read Excel files directly into SAS you will be a bit stuck without SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files. If you have SAS/ACCESS to ODBC then you could give that a try.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation