BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DmytroYermak
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi all,

It is rather a technical question. Is it possible to extend SAS 9.4 on two screens? I mean using any options is SAS. The matter is that I wanted to move log window on the second screen.

7 REPLIES 7
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Nope.  Unfortunately not as far as I can tell, although I don't use 9.4 desktop any more. Am on a web based one which currently the log editor and such like are all in one window.  Hoping the new version will allow floating windows, but I seriously doubt it.  Unfortunately IDE's are not SAS strong point, as given by the "Enhanced" editor which was actually a big step forward back when released on version 8.

A work around is to have your second monitor open on a windows explorer and direct the log to a file.  I used to have SAS open on one screen, then on the second batch submit in Explorer and have the outputs/logs all there so I can open - also useful to have SAS viewer too so can open datasets.  

DmytroYermak
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Does your log changes automatically after each restart of a program?
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

If you batch submit it is a new log (a new session) each time.  If your re-directing the log then it is down to how you redirect the log as proc printto log="...log" new; will create a new file, otherwise it gets appended:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/proc/61895/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a000146809.htm

gamotte
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hello,

A possibility is to stretch the main window to span both screens and display log in one screen and the editor in the other.

ballardw
Super User

@gamotte wrote:

Hello,

A possibility is to stretch the main window to span both screens and display log in one screen and the editor in the other.

Though, at least in windows, the system may reset you SAS session window size when the screen saver kicks in or a number of other system actions.

If you monitor is "big enough" you might be able to work just resizing and moving the editor, log and results windows around within the SAS session. If you have the SAS option in preferences to "Save settings on exit" the size and layout should be carried to the next session.

Reeza
Super User

I think SAS Studio can do this.

SAS Base 9.4 cannot do this in my experience. Or at least reliably, you can stretch your app across the screens but not set up for each screen automatically.

DmytroYermak
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Finally, I am using Window-Title Vertically and leaving just program window and log.

Thank you all for the replies.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation