BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jsmall
Calcite | Level 5

Hi there,

My computer was recently upgraded to windows 10, so I changed over to SAS 9.4. Originally I had Windows 7 and was using SAS 9.3. I'm trying to import and sort a 2GB stata dataset that used to load in about 1-2 minutes with Windows7/SAS 9.3, Now it takes over 8 minutes. And then after it's imported, trying to merge this with any other dataset takes significantly more time. 

I'm using data steps, not proc SQL since I'm old school and haven't converted over yet 🙂 Could this be the problem? Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Jen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

That's different and might not be related.  The SASUSER.PROFILE contains your SAS settings for things like key mappings, window layout, etc.

If it's not present or corrupted, SAS creates a new one. See the doc about how that works.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Strange. I think we need more details. Posting your code would be good. For example, are you sorting by numerical variables or character? Are the characters variables encoded in WLATIN1 or something else? 

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The log would help too.  I assume you're using PROC IMPORT with DBMS=dta.

Your SAS session encoding might be a factor -- if SAS has to transcode from Latin1 to UTF-8.  Check the encoding with

PROC OPTIONS group=languagecontrol; run;

And is it the Import step or the Sort step that takes longer -- or both?

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
ballardw
Super User

Are you reloading Stata data that you had imported previously or is this a new data set?

I am asking because it almost sounds like you might be reading the same data source repeatedly which sounds inefficient.

Other things about your environment might have an impact. When you upgraded the SAS version did you move to a server version from stand-alone (or vice versa).

How much free memory do you have? I might be that your Windows10 set up isn't allowing as much memory for SAS if you upgraded OS software but no hardware.

Is network connectivity involved any where in the process?

jsmall
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks everyone, something was going on with Windows 10, it was storing my temporary programs in my C drive, which used up all my memory. I didn't encounter these problems at all with Windows 7, so instead of working with IT who know nothing about SAS, I just decided to go back to Windows 7-seemed like the quickest, easiest solution for now. 

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Thankfully you didn't have to revert to Windows XP 😉

In future, one thing to check is the TEMP and/or TMP environment variable, which you can control in System Properties, Environment Variables settings.

tmp.png

Most apps, including SAS, take their cue for the "temp space" root from one of those environment variables.

up_temp.png

Your upgrade to Windows 10 might have affect that, or it might have changed the %USERPROFILE% location which in turn affects the Temp space.

jsmall
Calcite | Level 5
Yes! I'm having issues with the user profile! I didn't realize I was getting these error messages- any idea what's going on?:
NOTE: SASUSER.PROFILE.CATALOG does not exist and is being created from
NOTE: SASUSER.PROFBAK.CATALOG.

NOTE: SASUSER.PROFBAK.CATALOG has been copied to SASUSER.PROFILE.CATALOG.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

That's different and might not be related.  The SASUSER.PROFILE contains your SAS settings for things like key mappings, window layout, etc.

If it's not present or corrupted, SAS creates a new one. See the doc about how that works.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation