BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bailunrui
Fluorite | Level 6

So, the data that I'm analyzing is set up in a strange way. For each person's device, there can only be 255 event numbers recorded before it rolls over, but this can happen several times. An event 0 is when the device is turned on. After a 255, there is usually a number greater than 0, indicating a roll over (unless by pure chance the device was turned off after exactly 255 cycles and turned back on again). Here is what my data looks like:

PersonEvent NumberTotal I Want
A00
A7575
A7979
A150150
A255255
A4259
A20275
A80335
A230485
A255510
A36546
B00
B1515

The algorithm to do this is just eluding me. I've tried retaining and lagging and all I'm getting is nowhere. I was able to code through the first roll over, but when it hit another one, my code failed. When I try to think recursively, my mind turns to mush.

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

Lauren

Corrected addition mistake. Message was edited by: Lauren Parlett

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
art297
Opal | Level 21

The following may do what you want:

data want (drop=base last);

set have;

by person;

if first.person then base=0;

last=lag(event_number);

if not first.person and event_number lt last then base+255;

total=sum(event_number,base);

run;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
art297
Opal | Level 21

Can you provide a better explanation of what goes into the total?  It appears that it is simply the event number until event number is less than the previous event number and then, for some, appears like the total is the event number added onto a cummulative sum.  But that doesn't appear to hold for your example.  Please explain.

bailunrui
Fluorite | Level 6

Up until 255, it is just the event number.

After 255, it is the event number + 255.

If 255 comes up again, it is the event number + 255 + 255.

art297
Opal | Level 21

The following may do what you want:

data want (drop=base last);

set have;

by person;

if first.person then base=0;

last=lag(event_number);

if not first.person and event_number lt last then base+255;

total=sum(event_number,base);

run;

bailunrui
Fluorite | Level 6

That totally worked, thank you!!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation