BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jack1
Obsidian | Level 7

I have several SAS programs in a folder that I run in sequence.  However I would like to create a batch program to run these SAS program files one-by-one instead of manually.

How would I code this?  

Thanks

Jack

10 REPLIES 10
TheShark
Obsidian | Level 7

It sounds like you want to fully automate the process but keep the code separated, possibly for individual logs/troubleshooting/future changes? Regardless, I think what I would do is create a batch file and add it to the Windows task scheduler.

The batch file (.bat) would look something like this and would generate a date stamped log for each run,

Start/w "Auto Metrics" "C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\sas.exe" -CONFIG "C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\nls\en\sasv9.cfg" -sysin "Z:\blahblahblah\auto_metrics_code.sas" -log "Z:\blahblahblah\auto_metrics_log_%date:~-4,4%%date:~-7,2%%date:~-10,2%.txt" -print "Z:\blahblahblah\auto_metrics_log_%date:~-4,4%%date:~-7,2%%date:~-10,2%.lst"

Start/w "Auto Metrics" "C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\sas.exe" -CONFIG "C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\nls\en\sasv9.cfg" -sysin "Z:\blahblahblah\auto_metrics_code_STEP2.sas" -log "Z:\blahblahblah\auto_metrics_log_STEP2_%date:~-4,4%%date:~-7,2%%date:~-10,2%.txt" -print "Z:\blahblahblah\auto_metrics_log_STEP2_%date:~-4,4%%date:~-7,2%%date:~-10,2%.lst"

Start/w "Auto Metrics" "C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\sas.exe" -CONFIG "C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\nls\en\sasv9.cfg" -sysin "Z:\blahblahblah\auto_metrics_code_STEP3.sas" -log "Z:\blahblahblah\auto_metrics_log_STEP3_%date:~-4,4%%date:~-7,2%%date:~-10,2%.txt" -print "Z:\blahblahblah\auto_metrics_log_STEP3_%date:~-4,4%%date:~-7,2%%date:~-10,2%.lst"

Once you have the batch file working, just schedule it in the task scheduler at whatever cadence you see fit.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/hostwin/67962/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p16esisc4nrd5sn1ps...

Jack1
Obsidian | Level 7

Great thanks.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you are running your programs on a SAS server you may want to consider using the batch and scheduling SAS jobs capabilities of SAS Management Console. It takes care of constructing correct SAS batch command lines without you having to construct them manually.

KenMac
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I have another use case for this question.  I have a set of SAS programs that do share any dependencies that I wish to run in parallel.  At the end of the set, I wish to trap the return code from each job and fail the parent process if any of the child processes report an error.

I came up with the attached script, but it does not work in the way I need.  Per the man page for wait, once the child process terminates, the wait statement refers to a terminated process and Unix (Solaris in my case) returns a zero.  If I order the scripts in order the the amount of execution time required, then it works but I cannot predict precisely the completion order for all the steps in the job.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work without pre-knowledge of the order of completion?

In this example, the script runs 5 SAS programs.  Each one just sleeps for a set number of seconds and then aborts with a return code equal to the number of seconds the program sleeps.  The number of seconds is in the name of the program.

Thanks in advance for your help!

#!/bin/sh

# Test the wait command

echo "Test RC Start "  `date`

SASEXE=/apps/sasconfig/Lev1/SASApp/sas.sh
UTC=\"`date -u +%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.000+0000`\"
TESTsrc=/data/testrc

# Launch TestRC jobs

$SASEXE -sysin $TESTSRC/test_rc_50.sas -set utc $UTC -sysparm none -log $TESTSRC/test_rc_50.log -noterminal -logparm WRITE=IMMEDIATE &
test_50_pid=$!

$SASEXE -sysin $TESTSRC/test_rc_40.sas -set utc $UTC -sysparm none -log $TESTSRC/test_rc_40.log -noterminal -logparm WRITE=IMMEDIATE &
test_40_pid=$!

$SASEXE -sysin $TESTSRC/test_rc_30.sas -set utc $UTC -sysparm none -log $TESTSRC/test_rc_30.log -noterminal -logparm WRITE=IMMEDIATE &
test_30_pid=$!

$SASEXE -sysin $TESTSRC/test_rc_20.sas -set utc $UTC -sysparm none -log $TESTSRC/test_rc_20.log -noterminal -logparm WRITE=IMMEDIATE &
test_20_pid=$!

$SASEXE -sysin $TESTSRC/test_rc_10.sas -set utc $UTC -sysparm none -log $TESTSRC/test_rc_10.log -noterminal -logparm WRITE=IMMEDIATE &
test_10_pid=$!

# Wait for all programs to complete

wait $test_50
test_50_rc=$?

wait $test_40
test_40_rc=$?

wait $test_30
test_30_rc=$?

wait $test_20
test_20_rc=$?

wait $test_10
test_10_rc=$?

#  Staging Phase 1 programs are complete - display all return codes

echo "Test RC Complete "  `date`
echo " "

echo "Test PID and RC Return Codes"
echo "__________________________________________"
echo "  test_50   $test_50_pid   $test_50_rc    "
echo "  test_40   $test_40_pid   $test_40_rc    "
echo "  test_30   $test_30_pid   $test_30_rc    "
echo "  test_20   $test_20_pid   $test_20_rc    "
echo "  test_10   $test_10_pid   $test_10_rc    "

#  Set a global return code 

if (( test_50_rc          <= 1 &&  \
      test_40_rc          <= 1 &&  \
      test_30_rc          <= 1 &&  \
      test_20_rc          <= 1 &&  \
      test_10_rc          <= 1     )); then
  echo "All programs completed sucessfuly"
  rval=0
else
  echo "There was an problem in the test process.  Kindly review the logs for details"
  rval=2
fi

echo "Test RC Ending "  `date`
echo "Return Code = $rval"
exit $rval

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Parallel processing is much more easily achieved if you have SAS/CONNECT available to you. If you do then you can do it all in your SAS code and don't need a controlling script at all.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

This is a test I just set up on AIX with ksh and bash:

Script testback1:

sleep 1
exit 1

Script testback2:

sleep 2
exit 2

Script testback:

./testback1&
tb1=$!
./testback2&
tb2=$!
wait $tb2
rc2=$?
wait $tb1
rc1=$?

echo RC1=$rc1
echo RC2=$rc2

You can see that I check in reverse sequence, so the "shorter" script has already finished when I test the "longer" one.

The result of running testback is this:

$ ./testback
RC1=1
RC2=2

So you can see that the returncodes are dutifully captured. If I reverse the testing order, the result stays the same.

So I think your basic approach is correct, and your test_XX_rc variables should hold the correct return codes.

BTW I would use

/apps/sasconfig/Lev1/SASApp/BatchServer/sasbatch.sh

for batch jobs, and I would never tolerate a return code ne 0. SAS programs that have a WARNING have failed, period.

KenMac
Obsidian | Level 7
You recommend using 'sasbatch.sh' - any particular reason?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 6 in conversation