BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sen43
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I need to run a sas code without having the access to open it and read its contents. Basically, there's this code that has been written by some other team, and they do not want to reveal the logic to any other team. And I need to refer to this code for my purpose. Hence, was wondering if it is possible to treat this other team's code as a black box, wherein I can simply refer to this code's location, feed my dataset as input, and receive the output data with the variable of interest added. Is this possible in SAS? If so, how so? 

Thanks a lot

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

Store the code as a macro with the secure and nosource option. 

See the documentation under %macro for an example, Example 5.

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/mcrolref/67912/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p1nypovnwon4uyn1...

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Yes, this is a common problem in our industry.  What I will say is this, try your hardest not to do this.  I will give you an example of why not to do this.  Recently SAS upgraded their infrastructure to be 64bit.  What this means is that 32bit catalogs - compiled libraries or macros etc. no longer work with the SAS version.  This is a really big problem as it means everything done by our vendors prior to that now no longer works for us, and because it is closed source we cannot fix it, nor can we go back to the original developers as this was some years back.

It is a very bad idea to progress along that path and I can't say this enough,just don't do it.  For our vendors now we filter out any who cannot provide full program source, even if this means we have to pay more than normal to get macros developed just for us.  Closed source is archaic over protection, and will cause you problems at some point.

rogerjdeangelis
Barite | Level 11

Ditto

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation