BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
NKormanik
Barite | Level 11

I'm curious to hear the Community's feelings regarding continuing to use your computer for other things while running a long SAS job.  Such as using Chrome internet browser, Outlook, Excel, etc.

I fear that doing so may corrupt the SAS procedures and results.

Please share your insights.

Thanks.

Nicholas Kormanik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Pretty much hardware dependent. If your computer has limited memory, disk space or cpu cycles then you might have issues. Of course generally you do not want to try to access the files SAS is attempting to use as many other applications my try to lock the file(s).

I routinely run SAS, email and browser at the same time. One upon a time I had a job where I was running simulations that ran for 4+ days but still used SAS and other programs. That's what multitasking operating systems are for.

If I had multple programs trying to use all the disk space or memory that would be an issue.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ballardw
Super User

Pretty much hardware dependent. If your computer has limited memory, disk space or cpu cycles then you might have issues. Of course generally you do not want to try to access the files SAS is attempting to use as many other applications my try to lock the file(s).

I routinely run SAS, email and browser at the same time. One upon a time I had a job where I was running simulations that ran for 4+ days but still used SAS and other programs. That's what multitasking operating systems are for.

If I had multple programs trying to use all the disk space or memory that would be an issue.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@ballardw wrote:

Pretty much hardware dependent. If your computer has limited memory, disk space or cpu cycles then you might have issues.

What "issues" are you talking about here?

The question was about corrupting SAS somehow, that can't happen as far as I know.

--
Paige Miller
NKormanik
Barite | Level 11

Thanks to all responding.  Just don't want any corruptions or interference.  Prefer continuing to use main computer if that's okay.

Reeza
Super User

The only reason you shouldn't run other programs is if you're using system commands/functions and/or DDE. Those will interact with the system and you can cause issues with the process.

NKormanik
Barite | Level 11
What would be a "system command" that could possibly interfere with SAS
functioning properly?

There probably is some dividing line between what won't interfere (browser)
and what likely will. Hmm..

##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##
ballardw
Super User

@PaigeMiller wrote:

@ballardw wrote:

Pretty much hardware dependent. If your computer has limited memory, disk space or cpu cycles then you might have issues.

What "issues" are you talking about here?

The question was about corrupting SAS somehow, that can't happen as far as I know.

Mostly performance related such as excessive disk swapping or just very slow performance as the "active" program gets attention and the background program, SAS perhaps, gets choked for CPU cycles and runs for a very long time. Though in ancient days I did have some issues with scheduled batch jobs getting killed by late-night operators who though the job was out of control as it used "too many resources". Which was why it was scheduled for 2AM to begin with.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@NicholasKormanik wrote:

I'm curious to hear the Community's feelings regarding continuing to use your computer for other things while running a long SAS job.  Such as using Chrome internet browser, Outlook, Excel, etc.

I fear that doing so may corrupt the SAS procedures and results.

I have never had that happen, and as far as I know, it shouldn't happen. Chrome, Outlook, Excel, etc. have no effect on SAS.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation