BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ea22
Calcite | Level 5

Hello!

Trying to run R code from SAS University Edition (UE).

As we know UE runs on server, whereas, R (for Windows) is installed on my local machine -- path:C:\Program Files\R\R-3.3.2\bin\R.exe

Q1: Can UE (in client/server environment) set a folder on client machine?  The following code does not set the path for 'work directory' appropriately. 

A. setwd("/folders/myfolders/progs")

Note: The path given above is the UE mapped path to local folder C:\My_Work\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\progs).

Note: Know that it is not working because later on in log it says: physical file is not there, when a file is referenced from that folder.

Whereas, the line below works...

B. setwd("&workdir")

Note: WORK dir is on the UE server.

Q2: Can UE (in client/server environment) use NOXWAIT, XSYNC, PIPE?  Later on the code stops because of the following errors.  

options noxwait xsync;

--> ERROR: Unrecognized SAS option name NOXWAIT.  

--> ERROR: Unrecognized SAS option name XSYNC.

filename <fileref> pipe "&rpath"

--> ERROR: Insufficient authorization to access PIPE.

--> ERROR: Error in the FILENAME statement.

Note: Using 'File Shortcuts' in UE, rpath=%str(/folders/myshortcuts/R/R-3.3.2/bin/R.exe) 

Any help would be greatly appeciated!! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

No, @AhmedAl_Attar is correct.  You cannot configure SAS University Edition to run R.  This requires a fully licensed version of SAS that you install yourself (for Windows or Linux).

If your goal is to reuse specific R packages, you might be stuck.  If your goal is to use certain capabilities that you know about in R but don't know about in SAS, you could post a "how do I..." question to the Statistical Procedures board or SAS/IML board here on the communities.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi,

SAS University Edition is a vApp (self-contained bundle of software & OS). for more details check this link SAS University Edition - FAQ

In the vApp, SAS is running on CentOS Linux. The NOXWAIT, XSYNC options are SAS windows options, and they are not valid for Linux.

In short, I don't think what you are asking for is possible!

If you had SAS running on a Linux server, then you would have the ability to install R on the same Linux server and intgerate the two software together on Linux.

I hope I'm wrong and someone can provide you with a positive alternative,

Ahmed

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

No, @AhmedAl_Attar is correct.  You cannot configure SAS University Edition to run R.  This requires a fully licensed version of SAS that you install yourself (for Windows or Linux).

If your goal is to reuse specific R packages, you might be stuck.  If your goal is to use certain capabilities that you know about in R but don't know about in SAS, you could post a "how do I..." question to the Statistical Procedures board or SAS/IML board here on the communities.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The FAQ for the SAS University Edition includes a list of features in SAS that are not supported in SAS UE. The third bullet is

• The integration of SAS/IML with R is not supported.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation