BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Adnan_Razaq
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

What function can be used to round down a number by 2 dp, for instance if I have the value of 0.99856 how can I round this down to 0.99?

Many Thanks

Adnan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

That's not rounding, that's truncation, rounding to 2 decimal places would be 1.00. 

Note, please use full words, ie dp=decimal place is my assumption. Not everyone here will know your terminology.

data want;

x=0.99856;

y=floor(x*100)/100;
y=round(y, 0.01);

put x= y=;

run;

@Adnan_Razaq wrote:

Hi,

What function can be used to round down a number by 2 dp, for instance if I have the value of 0.99856 how can I round this down to 0.99?

Many Thanks

Adnan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

That's not rounding, that's truncation, rounding to 2 decimal places would be 1.00. 

Note, please use full words, ie dp=decimal place is my assumption. Not everyone here will know your terminology.

data want;

x=0.99856;

y=floor(x*100)/100;
y=round(y, 0.01);

put x= y=;

run;

@Adnan_Razaq wrote:

Hi,

Many Thanks

Adnan

jt742
Calcite | Level 5
HI Reeza,

Thanks for this solution! Just a question about "y=round(y, 0.01)" as I'm not sure if it's necessary. When I run your code without it, it seems to work fine. Am I missing something? Thanks!

-Joey
Reeza
Super User

It depends on what you want. Round will round the variable to the nearest second decimal place in this case. I think this is the same as using 8.2 format to display your data. However, 8.2 only controls the display, the value in the table would still be the actual value, so it depends on what you're trying to do overall.

Astounding
PROC Star

Can you have negative numbers, such as:

If so, what result would you want to see?

One possible way to program this (depending on your answer):

x = int(100*x) / 100;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation