BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
cmoore
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Does anybody know a quick way to reverse strings. I basically have some strings like the below;

Germany; Munich

and I want to change them to

Munich; Germany

Would you know a good function to use to do this?

Thanks

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, that's not really reversed, just swapped over.  You could do:

want=catx(';',scan(have,2,";"),scan(have,1,";"));

I suspect your issue is more complicated than that.  I would split the string up into rows of data with one element per row.  Then have a look up merge, for country, and one for city, merge that on to get a flag for wether it is a country or city, then transpose it up.  Provide some test data in the form of a datastep and can show code.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, that's not really reversed, just swapped over.  You could do:

want=catx(';',scan(have,2,";"),scan(have,1,";"));

I suspect your issue is more complicated than that.  I would split the string up into rows of data with one element per row.  Then have a look up merge, for country, and one for city, merge that on to get a flag for wether it is a country or city, then transpose it up.  Provide some test data in the form of a datastep and can show code.

cmoore
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks a lot for your advice

ShiroAmada
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
data x;
  a='Munich; Germany';
  b=catt(scan(a,2,";"),"; ",scan(a,1,";"));
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation