BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mlogan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi All,

I have the following spreadsheet I want to import. During the import stage I also want to Rename, Retain and Label the column. Is it possible to implement all three functions during the import stage? Thanks

ID             Name1                 Name2            Title1                             Title2
1234       Alex                       Michael           23 New York St.              (123) 563-2541
5678      John                      Jacob               202-74th St.                   123-585-4785
3456      Heather-Bin           Tornoway        220- 35th Ave.                (123)4587458
2345      Megan-Fitzam       Hansen           9 Huron st.                      (123)4587458
;
run;

I came up with the following code:

proc import datafile="C:\Have.xlsx"
dbms=xlsx replace
out=Want (RENAME=(ID=St_ID Name1=First_name Name2=Last_name Title1=Address) keep = ID Name1 Name2 Title1);
sheet='Sheet1';
run;

Expected Output:

St_ID      First_name            Last_name       Address
1234       Alex                       Michael           23 New York St.
5678      John                      Jacob               202-74th St.           
3456      Heather-Bin           Tornoway        220- 35th Ave.             
2345      Megan-Fitzam       Hansen           9 Huron st.            

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Use the following statement (it works even in my PROC IMPORT step):

attrib _all_ label=' ';

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
ballardw
Super User

Save the spreadsheet as a CSV file. Use Proc import to generate a basic datastep to read the data, copy the code from the log and add any changes desired. For instance to a search and replace on the default variable names to the name you want. Add label code.

I'm not quite sure what you want to "retain" but since this is a data step you can any datastep code you desire.

If you are happy with the contents of your data and just need to change names and add labels then Proc Datasets is the tool designed to do both to a set in place without re-reading any data or creating an additional dataset.

mlogan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Hi ballardw, by retain I want to rearange the variables (columns).
mlogan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
After renaming the dataset during import stage, it still keep the LABEL as it was in the excel spreadsheet. I wanted to keep label same as my new variable name (after renaming).
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@mlogan wrote:
After renaming the dataset during import stage, it still keep the LABEL as it was in the excel spreadsheet. I wanted to keep label same as my new variable name (after renaming).

Are you saying that the LABEL statement in PROC IMPORT is not effective? (I cannot test it with dbms=xlsx, unfortunately, because I don't have Excel installed, but it works with dbms=dlm.)

Also, wouldn't labels equal to the variable names add only little value since in most cases variable names would be used anyway by default for display if no labels were present (so you could simply remove all labels)?

As to the order of variables in the dataset (which is rarely relevant), I would be surprised if this could be arranged with PROC IMPORT alone. No problem, of course, with a data step reading the raw data.

mlogan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
How do I remove all labels from the sas dataset?
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Use the following statement (it works even in my PROC IMPORT step):

attrib _all_ label=' ';
mlogan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Where in import step you put that in, would you please show it ihere:

proc import datafile="C:\Have.xlsx"
dbms=xlsx replace
out=Want (RENAME=(ID=St_ID Name1=First_name Name2=Last_name Title1=Address) keep = ID Name1 Name2 Title1);
sheet='Sheet1';
run;
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

I'd put it just before the RUN statement.

mlogan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Thanks Reinhard, It worked for me. The 'Attrib' was showing up with red color and I thought SAS is not accepting it:) Thanks for the help.
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Glad to hear that it worked. I was also surprised by the incorrect syntax highlighting in this case.

mlogan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Not working right before RUN, tried other places too. have you tried from your end? Thanks,
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

I have it right before RUN. Do you receive error messages or in which way does your step fail?

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @mlogan,

You can also insert a LABEL statement into the PROC IMPORT step:

label St_ID      = 'Student ID'
      First_name = 'First name'
/* ... */
;
mlogan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I wanted to keep label same as my new variable name (after renaming).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation