BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
robertrao
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Team,

When I run a report somehow I get the first page Blank.and the rest of the pages have my content.

Could you help me resolve this problem of not getting contents printed on page1??

Regards

5 REPLIES 5
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Without seeing your code or knowing your destination, it is hard to comment on what you are seeing. When you say that you are getting a blank page, but NOT getting contents on page 1, did you mean that you are using ODS RTF with the CONTENTS=YES option? If so, did you also use the TOC_DATA option? Finally, if you are trying to generate a TOC with ODS RTF, did you tell Word to actually build the TOC? Please see this paper (http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings11/300-2011.pdf) page 13-14.

Or, if you are not looking for a TOC page, then I suggest you might want to work with Tech Support. There are at least 4 Tech Support notes about a blank page being generated (you might find more notes if you search on support.sas.com):

17498 - Blank pages are written between output pages in the RTF destination- Problem Note

12164 - Blank pages in ODS PRINTER/PDF output when large tables span multiple pages- Problem Note

16976 - Blank page generated when ODS RTF file is opened in MS Word- Usage Note

36221 - A blank page might be inserted before every graph with the ODS PDF destination- Usage Note

Tech Support can look at your data and ALL your code and try to replicate your results in order to help you with a resolution.

cynthia

robertrao
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Thanks for the detailed information.

Its good to know the above mentioned details.

The blank page I get in my report is an EXTRA PAGE....It has nothing to do with the contents of my report

simply put an EXTRA UNWANTED BLANK PAGE POPS UP

Regards

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi,

And did you look at TS 16976? 16976 - Blank page generated when ODS RTF file is opened in MS Word Otherwise, if that is not the cause, then your best resource for help is to work with Tech Support.

You did not post any data or any code, without seeing that, there is no way for folks to run the code to see whether they experience the same issue with the same code and the same data. If you cannot post your data and your code, then can you replicate the issue using one of the SASHELP datasets, such as SASHELP.CARS or SASHELP.SHOES? If you can replicate the issue with a SASHELP dataset, then there is a chance that you have discovered a bug and should open a track with Tech Support and report the possible bug. If you cannot replicate the issue with SASHELP data and you still have the problem with your data, then Tech Support can look at your data and maintain the confidentiality of your data in answering your question. So, to me, it looks like Tech Support are the only folks who are going to be able to help you with this issue.

cynthia

Moi
Calcite | Level 5 Moi
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Cynthia!

I read your reply and is very interesting, I have a similar problem in which maybe you can help me  Smiley Happy

I 'm reporting several graphs in a pdf report and was getting the blank page problem.

I fix the blank page problem in pdf using style=printer but the graphs needs tune then I add a ods graphics so they look better but after this the blank page returns!!

ods graphics on / reset=all height=7.5 in width=10.5 in border=off antialias=off;

ods pdf file= "../results/all.pdf" notoc startpage=no style=printer;

proc sgpanel..
panel by

series

run;

ods pdf close;

ods graphics off;

Hope that you cna take a look and provide me a Hint.

Thanks

Moises

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi, Moises:

Without code and data, it is hard to comment on what you're seeing. This original post was over a year old and my recommendation then was for the original poster to work with Tech Support. Your post is asking about ODS PDF, you haven't posted much code or data and the code you did post is incorrect. The statement in SGPLOT is PANELBY...not PANEL (space) BY. The number of pages that are generated and the panels that are generated are going to be impacted by many things, including but not limited to your data (the values for the PANELBY variable, whether you have a BY statement, as well as a PANELBY statement, if you have title and footnote statements, your ODS GRAPHICS options and your System Options, such as the margin settings or orientation. And, in addition, the ODS option of startpage=no doesn't make sense because the size of your image is an entire page, so there's no room for more than 1 graph on the page. Usually you use STARTPAGE=NO to put more than one graph on a page or more than one table on a page. Given all these factors, it is nearly impossible to make a constructive suggestion.

And, when I run the code below in SAS 9.4 using ODS PDF I expect and get 3 pages of output, one page for each value of COUNTRY and each page has a paneled graph with 4 panels, one panel for each value of PRODUCT. So I do not experience the behavior you describe. My recommendation is that you work with Tech Support on this. They can look at ALL your code and ALL your data and help you figure out whether you've discovered a defect or whether there is something about your code that is causing an extraneous page.

Cynthia

ods listing;
** summarize the data so there are 4 products and 1 year;
proc means data=sashelp.prdsale mean nway;
where year = 1993 and product ne 'BED';
  var actual;
  class month country product;
  output out=sum_sale mean=actmean;
run;

ods listing close;

proc sort data=sum_sale;
  by country product month;
run;
title; footnote;
ods _all_ close;

options orientation=landscape
        topmargin=.5in bottommargin=.5in rightmargin=.5in leftmargin=.5in
        nodate nonumber byline;
ods graphics on / reset=all height=7.5 in width=10.5 in border=off antialias=off imagefmt=png;

ods pdf file= "c:\temp\all_example.pdf" notoc style=printer nogtitle;
proc sgpanel data=sum_sale;
  by country;
  panelby product;
  series x=month y=actmean;
  format month monyy5.;
run;

ods pdf close;
ods graphics off;

pdf_example.png

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation