BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ibenp
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am having a bit of trouble with replicating every row in my dataset n times.

The idea is to merge 4003 subjects from 44 groups, replicated 1000 times, with 1000 rows of logistic model parameter estimates from 1000 bootstrapped samples of my original data, for each of the 4003 subjects. Each subject has1000 consecutive rows (1,1,1,...(1000 times), 2,2,2,...), and the 1000 parameter estimate rows need to be repeated (1,2,3...1000, 1,2,3,...1000, (4003 times)).

I'm going to then evaluate each subject with the 1000 logistic models, and then find the mean and se for the odds ratio CI, by group.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Patrick 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Is this what you are asking?

data class(drop=i);
   do i = 1 to 1000;
      do j = 1 to n;
         set sashelp.class nobs=n point=j;
         output;
         end;
      end;
   stop;
   run;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Are you sure you don't want to do a many to one merge instead?  If you really want to make copies of observations, just used a DO loop.

data class(drop=i);
   set sashelp.class;
   do i = 1 to 1000;
      output;
      end;
   run;

ibenp
Calcite | Level 5

This works for creating 1000 consecutive rows of the same row, but not all 1000 rows repeated 1000 times.

WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Is this what you are asking?

data class(drop=i);
   do i = 1 to 1000;
      do j = 1 to n;
         set sashelp.class nobs=n point=j;
         output;
         end;
      end;
   stop;
   run;

ibenp
Calcite | Level 5

YES, this worked for me:

data Project2.Beta3_repeated_4003_times(drop=i);
do i = 1 to 4003;
do j = 1 to n;
set Project2.Beta3 nobs=n point=j;
output;
end;
end;
stop;
run;

Thank you!

Reeza
Super User

@ibenp please mark the question answered by selecting the correct solution. 

mkeintz
PROC Star

Reading a file 4003 times using the POINT= approach (i.e. direct access to records) is probably a lot slower than finding a way to let SAS use its intrinsically faster sequential access.  And if your dataset is large, it's worth finding a faster approach that effectively uses SAS sequential data access engine.  Beyond that, using PROC append would be more like a "bulk load" of the data. 

Of course you really don't want to run 4003 iterations of PROC APPEND.  And you don't have to.  This program concatenates the data set to itself, meaning it doubles in size at every iteration.  So if you were to ask for N=4096, you'd have 12 iterations.  For N=4003,  you have 11 iterations and a 12th "partial" iteration, adding a fraction of the data set to itself.

%let nreps=4003;

data _null_;
  maxpower=floor(log2(&nreps));
  put maxpower=;
  call execute('data class;set sashelp.class;run;');
  do power=1 to maxpower;
    call execute('proc append base=class data=class;run;');
  end;

if 0 then set sashelp.class nobs=nrecs;
  obs_to_add=nrecs*(&nreps - 2**maxpower);
  if  obs_to_add>0 then 
    call execute(cats('proc append base=class data=class (obs=',obs_to_add,');run;'));
run;

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation