BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

As you are switching from Windows to Unix there are some attention points.

Desktop portable Windows tools, evaluate:

- Terminal usage, yes like the old mainframe days, for the shell access something like putty and being graphical a X-server (moba xterm 9.4)

- Upload/download to Windows, sftp/ftp, winscp and notepad++ with add-ons. (compare/replace)

Data conventions, get accustomed to:

-  the LF (Unix) and CR/LF Windows record difference. With binary transfers it could get mixed up in the wrong way.
- Latin1 wlatin1 differences in the encoding (single byte) and the utf8 (multiple byte) Excel Word and Html are already using utf8.
  Most people still working/thinking in wlatin1.

I expect you are getting EGuide delivered with the promise nothing will really change to you. (yeah..... forget that).

Support for your SAS usage.
You may be classified as a very dangerous person for the company using VBA and Windows scripting.
They may possible try to lock you out from all of that. You are needing a guy as platform-admin that will really will try to help you.
The first hurdle is the default setting of noxcmd for all SAS services,  not allowing you to access Unix.    

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Yura2301
Quartz | Level 8

Hi again Jaap,

All tasks that I made using VBA scripts wasn't related to business data etc., it was usually one time event tasks for achiving some local goals and couldn't really demage anything, plus offcource I didn't execute any vbs on production:), only development environmant.

For some tasks I also used Perl just becouse it really good in parsing stuff etc.

Thanks!

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

That is nice, you are not a newbie. It looks you have not got locked out, also nice.
For Perl, did you use Prxparse? SAS(R) 9.4 Functions and CALL Routines: Reference, Second Edition
It is Perl string parsing stuff called from SAS

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Yura2301
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Jaap,

Yep, I used couple of SAS function that support regular expressions - PRXChange etc.

On big strings it works fuster then SAS functions for working with characters.

Thanks!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation