BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Lost_Gary
Obsidian | Level 7

This might be easy, but I keep getting hung up on this.  I am trying to replace a space with a dash within an address field.  For instance, the address is listed as 12 345 main street.  I am trying to get it to add a dash, but only in the first space i.e. 12-345 main street.  

I appreciate the assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

data w;
k='12 345 main street.';
substr(k,index(k,' '),1)='-';
run;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

data w;
k='12 345 main street.';
substr(k,index(k,' '),1)='-';
run;
Lost_Gary
Obsidian | Level 7

Brilliant.  Thank you.  

art297
Opal | Level 21

While you've marked this question as solved, unless all of your addresses have that pattern of numbers, I think you will be exchanging a number of spaces for hyphens where you don't really want to.

I'd suggest using pattern matching. E.g.,

data have;
  address='12 345 main street.';
  output;
  address='345 main street.';
  output;
run;

data want;
  set have;
  address = prxchange('s/(\d+) (\d+)/$1-$2/', -1, address);
run;

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

Lost_Gary
Obsidian | Level 7

ooh, I like the efficiency in that coding and also learning different ways.  So a thumbs up for this method as well.  

The problem with addresses that I am finding, is the scenario of the address '345 1st avenue' as '345-1st avenue' would be inaccurate (for this scenario).  So, my less than efficient solution was to create different 'rules' to isolate the scenarios in which the 'substr' function works better to replace some of the spaces.  I know what i am doing isn't perfect.  

art297
Opal | Level 21

Precisely why I suggested using pattern matching. That one is easy to correct:

data have;
  address='12 345 main street.';
  output;
  address='345 main street.';
  output;
  address='345 1st avenue';
  output;
run;

data want;
  set have;
  address = prxchange('s/(\d+) (\d+) /$1-$2 /', -1, address);
run;

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation