BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
apolitical
Obsidian | Level 7

if I define 2 lists of variables as :

%let varlist1 = v1 v2 v3

%let varlist2 = v3

How could I generate a new variable list consisting of v1 and v2 by subtracting varlist2 from varlist1? The following command does not seem to give what I want.

%let varlist3 = tranwrd(&varlist1., &varlist2., '').

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi

Yout code works, but you must call tranwrd inside a %sysfunc macro function to use it outside a data step, and also omit the quotes around the empty value, as they are considered part of the value in macro language.

%let varlist3 = %sysfunc(tranwrd(&varlist1., &varlist2., %str()));

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi

Yout code works, but you must call tranwrd inside a %sysfunc macro function to use it outside a data step, and also omit the quotes around the empty value, as they are considered part of the value in macro language.

%let varlist3 = %sysfunc(tranwrd(&varlist1., &varlist2., %str()));

apolitical
Obsidian | Level 7
It works. Thank you!
ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

It comes here.. You need a macro to remove the values in varlist2 one at a time. 

%let varlist1 = V1 V2 V3 V4 V5;
%let varlist2 = V3 V1 ;

%macro m;
     %global varlist3;
     %let varlist3 = &varlist1;
     %do i = 1 %to %sysfunc(countw(&varlist2));
          %let varlist3 = %sysfunc(tranwrd(&varlist3., %scan(&varlist2.,&i,%str( )), %str()));
     %end;
     %let varlist3 = %sysfunc(compbl(&varlist3));
%mend;
%m;
%put &varlist3;

Ksharp
Super User
%let varlist1 = V1 V2 V3 V4 V5;
%let varlist2 = V3 V1;

%let pid=\b%sysfunc(prxchange(s/\s+/\b|\b/,-1,&varlist2))\b;
%let want=%sysfunc(prxchange(s/&pid//i,-1,&varlist1));

%put &want;

ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

- Note that it only works with 1 value in varlist2, as the tranword function takes the list as a single string to search for. It is more complicated with several values. Do you need that?

apolitical
Obsidian | Level 7
Yes I would like to know that. What if varlist2 is defined as
%varlist2 = v1 v2;
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You probably need to consider the possibility that the name of the variable you want to remove is a substring of another variable in your list. You could add some spaces to the first two arguments to make it match words. Also watch out for case of the variable names.

10   %let varlist=V1v3 V2 V3 ;
11   %let var=v3 ;
12   %let want=%sysfunc(tranwrd(%str( %upcase(&varlist) ),%str( %upcase(&var) ),%str( )));
13   %put WANT=|&want|;
WANT=|V1V3 V2|

Now if you want to the second parameter to also be a list you will need a more complicated solution.  You could do it with %DO looip or possible using regular expressions.

apolitical
Obsidian | Level 7

As you all suggested, this solution doesn't work if varlist 2 contains multiple stirngs separated by spaces. In fact, none of the components would be removed from varlist1. Can you please give a solution to that scenario?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you need to do it totally in macro code then you probably want a loop.  For example you could make a new macro "function".

%macro subset(list1,list2);
%local i word result;
%do i=1 %to %sysfunc(countw(&list1));
   %let word=%scan(&list1,&i);
   %if not %index(%str( %upcase(&list2) ),%str( %upcase(&word) )) %then
     %let result=&result &word 
  ;
%end;
&result.
%mend subset;

So then you can use it this way.

38   %let want=%subset(V1 v2 v3 v4 v5 V3v2,V3 v2);
39   %put WANT=|&want|;
WANT=|V1 v4 v5 V3v2|
apolitical
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks so much. I got it to work.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation