DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Reformat downloaded Mainframe reports to MS Word or PDF -- need PC page feeds, etc.

New Contributor

Reformat downloaded Mainframe reports to MS Word or PDF -- need PC page feeds, etc.

I am hoping that someone will have an old macro program to process my mainframe reports TXT output files and replace the 0 or 1 in column 1 [that was substituted for a real page feed/ line feed in the FTP process] with actual control codes, so I don't have to manually edit every page on these many legacy reports for which I have just become the steward.  Thanks!  I'm back on mainframe after twelve years or so on PC SAS.  It surprised me that the production process is:  FTP each report, then edit every single page to work in MS Word for printing, then create PDFs. Man Frustrated

New Contributor

Re: Reformat downloaded Mainframe reports to MS Word or PDF -- need PC page feeds, etc.

Posted in reply to NinaLWerner
DATA _NULL_ ;
	INFILE txtin;
	INPUT @1 xchr $1. @1 lnin $CHAR133.;
	LENGTH lnut $134;
		 IF xchr=' ' then lnut=lnin;
	ELSE IF xchr='0' then lnut=CATS('0A20'x, SUBSTR(lnin,2));
	ELSE IF xchr='-' then lnut=CATS('0A0A20'x, SUBSTR(lnin,2));
	ELSE IF xchr='1' then lnut=CATS('0C20'x, SUBSTR(lnin,2));

FILE txtut;
	PUT lnut;
RUN; 

Not quite working.  I'm losing centered titles and not all formfeeds are being inserted.  Any thoughts?

New Contributor

Re: Reformat downloaded Mainframe reports to MS Word or PDF -- need PC page feeds, etc.

Posted in reply to NinaLWerner

I improved my result with INFILE txtin TRUNCOVER; to handle short rows.

I still need help getting the titles centered (or maintaining the tabs inserted in the TXT rows.)  Smiley Frustrated

I can provide a sample input file, if you have any ideas and would like to play with it.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation