BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
_maldini_
Barite | Level 11

I am trying to create one nominal variable w/ 6 categories from 3 existing variables. I want values from 0-5 in the new variable (combo_expo).

With the syntax below, the last IF-THEN-ELSE statement overwrites the previous statements. The values are all 0 or 5. This seems pretty straight forward, but I haven't been able to resolve it w/ my own methods. Thanks. 

* Never users;
IF ever_used = 2 THEN combo_expo = 1;
ELSE IF ever_used NE 2 THEN combo_expo = 0;

* Past users. Not in the past 30 days;
IF last_used GE 30 THEN combo_expo = 2;
ELSE combo_expo = 0;

* Current, light users;
IF days_use_month LE 4THEN combo_expo = 3;
ELSE combo_expo = 0;

* Current, heavy users;
IF days_use_month GE 5 THEN combo_expo = 4;
ELSE combo_expo = 0;

* Chronic users, monthly x 1 year;
IF monthly_yr = 1 THEN combo_expo = 5;
ELSE combo_expo = 0;

8 REPLIES 8
Reeza
Super User

Are you trying to create 1 new variable or 5 new variables?

If you're doing 1, why not make them all ELSE IF after the first condition. 

Otherwise, I think you'll need to explain the logic in more detail and with sample data.

_maldini_
Barite | Level 11

I am trying to create 1 new variable. I added ELSE IF statements. My latest syntax is below.

I get different results when I change the order of the IF-THE-ELSE statements. This seems like a lack of understanding on my part as to how SAS processes these conditions in the IF-THE-ELSE statements.

I have attached the data and a copy of my results I get w/ the syntax below. In this order, the IF-THE-ELSE statements produce the correct counts, except for monthly_yr, which has fewer counts than it should (518 v. 953). 

Thanks again for the assistance.

* Current, light users;
    IF days_use_month LE 4 AND NOT MISSING (days_use_month) THEN combo_expo = 3;

* Current, heavy users;
    ELSE IF days_use_month GE 5 AND days_use_month LE 30 AND NOT MISSING (days_use_month) THEN combo_expo = 4;

* Never users;
    ELSE IF ever_used = 2 THEN combo_expo = 1;

* Chronic users, monthly x 1 year;
    ELSE IF monthly_yr = 1 THEN combo_expo = 5;

* Past users. Not in the past 30 days;
    ELSE IF last_used GE 30 THEN combo_expo = 2;

PROC FREQ.jpg

Reeza
Super User

I think you need to read through @Astounding post again. It sounds like you haven't quite thought through all your categories that's the issue. 

Reeza
Super User

I think you need to read through @Astounding post again. It sounds like you haven't quite thought through all your categories that's the issue. 

ballardw
Super User

You may want to run some code like this against your data to see that actual combinations that you have.

proc freq data=have;
  tables ever_used *last_used *  days_use_month * monthly_yr *combo_expo/ list missing;
run;

Which may reveal that some of the values you expect to come from monthly_yr are being appropriated by a different set of variables.

Astounding
PROC Star

You probably need to think through the plan a little more.  You actually have 32 categories, so 0-5 won't be enough.  The logic of the variables may rule out some of the combinations, but it's a bad idea to rule them out without having the data tell you whether or not they exist.  For example, the data might indicate that both "never a user" and "current light user" are both true.  Here's one train of thought to get you started:

combo_expo='00000';

IF ever_used = 2 THEN substr(combo_expo, 5, 1) = '1';
IF last_used GE 30 THEN substr(combo_expo, 4, 1) = '2';
IF days_use_month LE 4 THEN substr(combo_expo, 3, 1) = '3';
IF days_use_month GE 5 THEN substr(combo_expo, 2, 1) = '4';

IF monthly_yr = 1 THEN substr(combo_expo, 1, 1) = '5';

You can always change the order if you would like.  Then run a PROC FREQ on combo_expo to get a picture of what your data contains.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Like this?

COMBO_EXPO=ifn(MONTHLY_YR     eq  1, 5   %* Chronic users, monthly x 1 year    ;
            ,ifn(DAYS_USE_MONTH ge  5, 4   %* Current, heavy users               ;
            ,ifn(DAYS_USE_MONTH le  4, 3   %* Current, light users               ;
            ,ifn(LAST_USED      ge 30, 2   %* Past users. Not in the past 30 days;
            ,ifn(EVER_USED      eq  2, 1   %* Never users                        ;
            ,                          0)))));

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

If you only want the first condition then maybe a select statement:

data want;
  set have;
  select;
    when(ever_used=2) combo_expo=1;
    when(last_used >= 30) combo_expo=2;
    otherwise combo_expo=0;
  end;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 6 in conversation