BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
MieMie
Calcite | Level 5

Hi everyone,

Does it matter when SAS reads raw data from external file or from datalines written in program? I thought it makes no difference at first, but I am not sure after I tried the example below.

For example, an external files contains variable-length records:

----+----1----+----2

The DATA step uses a numeric informat 5.

data numbers;

infile '/folders/myfolders/Crackman/external files.txt';

input TestNumber 5.;

run;

proc print data=numbers;

title 'Test DATA Step on External Files';

run;

When SAS read raw data from external file, the result is:

Obs TestNumber

1 333

2 55

3 55555

However, if SAS reads raw data from datalines written in the program, it has different results.

data numbers;

infile datalines;

input TestNumber 5.;

datalines;

;

proc print data=numbers;

title 'Test DATA Step';

run;

The result is

Obs TestNumber

1 22

2 333

3 4444

4 55

5 66666

So, what makes the difference in the results?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The first line in my first response explains why they are different.  Because SAS treats lines read from an external file differently than it treats lines processed as CARDS you are NOT reading the same data.  In the external file there are no trailing blanks after the numbers and when read from CARDS there are.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

When reading from inline data (CARDS or DATALINES) SAS will pad the records to a multiple of 80.  I assume that is a side effect of being developed in the 70's using IBM mainframes.  They have probably kept it that way to prevent breaking older programs.  Try this program.

data x ;

infile cards length=l ;

input ;

put l=3. +1 _infile_ ;

cards;

123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890

;;;;

You can use the TRUNCOVER option on the INFILE statement to make SAS not care if you try to read past the end of the line.  Or use the : modifier on the INPUT statement to prevent it from reading more characters than are present.

KachiM
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The number in SAS has always 8 bytes. The use of 5 is for writing out the output data set. So reading into SAS from

TXT file needs no Informat for a number. Try without 5 in your Input Statement. Tom has explained the reading through

datalines statement.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

SAS stores numbers as 8 byte floating point numbers.  But the length of the informat used when reading from text has nothing to do with the amount of storage that a number takes.  The problem the original programmer had was when trying to read more characters (5.) than were available in the input stream.  Removing the informat and letting SAS just use the default conversion from digits to numbers would work.  Also adding TRUNCOVER to the INFILE statement or putting a colon in front of the INFORMAT (: 5.) would also prevent SAS from trying to read past the end of the line.

MieMie
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Tom,

Thanks very much for your explanation. However, it didn't answer my question. I guess my question was not clear. Sorry for confusion. Let me re-phrase the question.

The same records was stored in different place, an external text file or datalilnes in program. I used the same code to read and print data, and I was expecting the same results since they read from the same records. However, the results were quite different. I was wondering what causes the difference?

Thanks again.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The first line in my first response explains why they are different.  Because SAS treats lines read from an external file differently than it treats lines processed as CARDS you are NOT reading the same data.  In the external file there are no trailing blanks after the numbers and when read from CARDS there are.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation