BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Neeta
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all,

I'm new to SAS. I'm creating a macro where I want to find position of any given character in string using index function.

I'm writing following code but macro stops executing.

%macro check(indata=, char=, var=);

data test;

set &indata;

position=index(&var,"%bquote(&char)");

run;

%mend;

%check(indata=try, char=(, var=value);

it's throwing errors. Not able to figure out whats going wrong

3 REPLIES 3
Astounding
PROC Star

The problem is occuring when invoking the macro, since the unbalanced parentheses throw things off.  Try quoting the character when you invoke the macro:

%check (indata=try, char=%str(%(), var=value)

In that case, you shouldn't need %BQUOTE any more.  Not all characters require quoting, but parentheses do.

Neeta
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you so much! It's working now!
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Firstly, if your new to SAS, I would strongly advise to learn Base SAS which is the programming language.  Macro is a tool for generation of text, i.e. it is only there to generate Base SAS code, so if you don't understand Base SAS, you will struggle with Macro.  Also, there are specific uses for macro language, using them randomly for purposes creates unweildy hard to mange and QC code which obfuscated.  Take your given example below, if you knew Base SAS, you would know that there are plenty of effecient procedures already built into Base SAS which will both be more efficient, and be known to anyone who uses SAS.  Your code will be inefficient and obfuscated for other users.  Knowing when to use macro is more important than how to use it.  The function you want to use here is index:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrdict/64316/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a000212242.htm

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation