BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ahvargas
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I'm attempting to read a tab delimited text file into SAS.  This particular file contains manufacturer names, location, registration#, year and product lists (all data is public).  For a given company name there may anywhere from 1 to 15 listed products.  Each product listing is followed by a description of the manufacturer type.  Here is a sample (raw data file is also attached):

Airgas USA, LLC

NC/USA

Gas, Calibration (Specified Concentration) - Blood Gas/ Lung Diffusion Gas

Contract Manufacturer; Manufacturer

Gas, Laser Generating - Laser Gas

Anaerobic Box Glove - Biological Atmosphere (Anaerobic)

Bath, Incubators/Water, All - Biological Atmosphere (Aerobic)

I begin by using the infile and input statements to create variables called Company, Location, Registration#, Year:

data mfr;

infile 'file-specification'  dsd  dlm='09'X  firstobs=5;

input Company  :$CHAR15.  Location  $CHAR6.  Registration#  Year  @;

At this point I would like to create two variables (one called Product and ProductDescr) from the first line which lists the product and a variables (called MfrType) from the second line which lists the kind of manufacturer.  To do this I first read the entire line and then break it up based on certain delimiting characters:

input  ProductListing  :$100.  @ ;        /*reads entire line listing the product and product description*/

where  find(ProductListing , "-" , "t" , 1 )  ~=  0;        /*tells SAS to check if a "-" character is present in ProductListing*/

ProductDescr = SCAN(ProductListing, 1, '-') & Product = SCAN(ProductListing, -2, '-' );       /*creates two variables using "-" character as the delimiter*/

input MfrListing :$CHAR55. @ ;        /*reads entire line listing the manufacturer information*/

if find (MfrListing, "Contract Manufacturer" ,"i", 1) ~= 0 

||   find(MfrListing,"Manufacturer", "i", 1) THEN MfrType = scan(MfrListing, 1, ';' );       /*tells SAS to look for words "Manufacturer" or "Contract Manufacturer" and create variable called MfrType*/

At this point there may be several more listings of product and manufacturer.  I do not want SAS to return to the top of the data step until it has read through all of the products/manufacturers, so it seems like I would use a loop (e.g. do while, do until) but I haven't been able to make that work.  I am relatively new to SAS so I may be making this more complicated than it needs to be.  I am using SAS University Edition.  I greatly appreciate any suggestions, assistance you can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Here is one way to read it that seems to work.  The idea is to read the first four fields from the the first two lines for each company and then loop reading PRODUCT strings until an input line has a tab (indicating the beginning of the next companies information).

data want ;

infile "&path/&fname" firstobs=5  dsd dlm='09'x truncover end=eof ;

length company $100 location $20 registration $20 year $4 ;

length product $600 ;

input company location / registration year / @@ ;

do until ( index(_infile_,'09'x) ) ;

product=_infile_;

output;

input ;

if eof then leave;

else input @@ ;

end;

run;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Here is one way to read it that seems to work.  The idea is to read the first four fields from the the first two lines for each company and then loop reading PRODUCT strings until an input line has a tab (indicating the beginning of the next companies information).

data want ;

infile "&path/&fname" firstobs=5  dsd dlm='09'x truncover end=eof ;

length company $100 location $20 registration $20 year $4 ;

length product $600 ;

input company location / registration year / @@ ;

do until ( index(_infile_,'09'x) ) ;

product=_infile_;

output;

input ;

if eof then leave;

else input @@ ;

end;

run;

ahvargas
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your help Tom!  That seems to have worked pretty well. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation